PDA

View Full Version : One for the landlords

Collyflower
13-06-2011, 18:52 PM
Hello all,

I also posted on another site but didn't get much feedback so am hoping you might give me the benefit of your collective wisdom! I'm hoping to rent a house on a private estate, apart from the fact that it's really beautiful (former Gatehouse) it would solve all of our problems in that, being part of a private manor house estate, there are no plans to sell it ever. Therefore giving the children as much of a childhood in the same home as can ever be expected with renting without the need to uproot them every 2/3 years.

Anyhow, I have an old default on my file (which experian have kindly rated as very poor btw mostly due to having moved twice in two years...with good reason) and my husband the same which relate to when I was made redundant in 2005 and things got very difficult. No late payments, CCJ's, gone away notices or anything like that.

I'm a bit unsettled about the credit checks on us both though, not sure why, we've been credit checked by two letting agents in the last 5 years and passed. Perhaps because this property means a lot to me, it's also being managed by an estate management company rather than a letting agents. They also want a bank status enquiry and, since we don't have a joint account (internet banking is easier) I have sent them the details for both accounts. Also a covering letter giving background on us, where we work, the children's ages, why we'd like the house, etc.

Have always paid the rent, utilities, council tax, etc. on time and always maintained good relations with landlords, neighbours etc. Therefore, if we get as far as a credit check should I mention it or leave it in the lap of the gods? I just worry that mentioning it would be prejudicial to us, 'the lady doth protest too much' type scenario. Would be grateful for your thoughts.

Thanks.

Grrr
13-06-2011, 19:04 PM
OK. As a landlord, I would be impressed by your story and your circumstances and by your keenness for MY property. Also with your honesty. If a poor credit report came back without me having been pre-warned I would probably be disappointed and concerned.

I suggest that when it gets to the point of them seeking a credit reference ( they need your permission) then you should tell it like it is. Exactly as you did here. They may have a strict policy of "no poor credit ratings" or they may be able to use discretion.

Another thing that can help is a) coming up with 3-6 months rent in advance, (which I realize may not be possible!) and/or b) being able to provide a guarantor who agrees to cover the rent if you ever don't pay (parents? Sibling? rich uncle?)

Collyflower
13-06-2011, 19:42 PM
Hi,

Thanks so much for your reply, it is helpful to get things from a landlords perspective. I did say in my covering letter that, since we don't have a joint bank account for the status enquiry, it may create something of a headache as between us we earn more than 2.5 times the annual rent but, separately (from one or other of the bank's point of view) we wouldn't. Therefore, I said that we have a guarantor ready and willing (my Father in law) We couldn't manage 2/3 months rent up front along with the deposit, I wish we could.

It's a strange situation for us because they've invited bids for the property and will prepare a shortlist for the owner (who lives in the big house) to interview. We're in Cornwall and they've come from as far away as Wolverhampton to view, so we're up against some stiff competition.

It would be a dream come true for the children, allowed a dog, chickens, vegetable garden and.......a path through the woods to it's own private beach! I'm trying to keep my hopes in check as, I guess, that if people have come from that far afield they must have plenty of money. I'm hoping that they may think very long term (I would happily stay until the children were grown) is better than more money in the short term. They did say that the ideal for them is not to have to find tenants repeatedly.

Grrr
13-06-2011, 19:53 PM
It sounds like you're already investing a lot in this emotionally. Do be careful! It sounds like there is a lot of competition. But hopefully you have explained in your letter about the hopes for the children to grow up there. And hopefully the people "in the big house" may not just be looking for the person with the most cash; they may want the best all-round package. And if they don't, you probably didn't want to live there anyway!

Good luck. Let us know the outcome.

Brightside
13-06-2011, 20:22 PM
I agree with all Grrr's comments.

If you can supply details of all your previous landlords for as
far back as you can, then I'm sure your potential landlord will be
most impressed. If your previous tenancies were through letting agents,
even better.

Good luck from me too.

Collyflower
13-06-2011, 20:32 PM
Yes, I suppose I am. I'm very keen for the children to have as stable a childhood as possible, given that we can't buy and are not eligible for social housing (not that I'd really want that anyway) So, it is the ideal really and I did stress that in my letter.

Thank you so much for your help, if we get as far as credit check I'll be taking your advice. I will certainly revisit this and let you know the outcome.

:(wait):

Collyflower
13-06-2011, 20:39 PM
I agree with all Grrr's comments.

If you can supply details of all your previous landlords for as
far back as you can, then I'm sure your potential landlord will be
most impressed. If your previous tenancies were through letting agents,
even better.

Good luck from me too.

Have given the last two letting agents as referees, prior to that we had our own flat, which we sold when we had our second child as it was far too small (at a loss) Mortgage happily recorded on credit file as settled with lots of green zeros and no orange or red.

Cheers for the luck, we need all we can get.