PDA

View Full Version : L's right of access for inspection or viewing?

fresh to the market
04-03-2010, 07:15 AM
Having verbally and by text asked my tenants for a time that suits them for me to come and do an inspection (but received no response) I have now asked in writing.

If I don't get a response (having had nothing but problems and lack of communication I suspect I won't) what are my rights of entry? The tenancy agreement says I need to give 24 hour written notice but what if the tenants aren't home? Can I just go in with my key at the time I give?

Any help would be most appreciated. :)

jta
04-03-2010, 07:43 AM
No you should not. You must make sure you have the T's agreement.
If you enter the property without express permission you are laying yourself wide open to claims of harassment, things going missing, and all sorts of professional tenant tricks.

Just because it is in your contract does not mean it is your right, it isn't.

schocca
04-03-2010, 09:08 AM
JTA - In this situation, is the Landlord protected if the tenant is found to be carrying our illegal acts at the property (i.e. "herb" growing houses)?

Also - is the buildings insurance then invalidated if the tenant has "converted" the house for illegal purposes? i.e. if the Landlord/agent cannot inspect the premises, is the Landlord assuming additional risks?

I fully agree with protecting the tenant's rights, but does this override the Landlord's right to protect themselves against legal action or financial loss due to uninsured property damage?

Schocca.

jta
04-03-2010, 10:35 AM
JTA - In this situation, is the Landlord protected if the tenant is found to be carrying our illegal acts at the property (i.e. "herb" growing houses)?

Also - is the buildings insurance then invalidated if the tenant has "converted" the house for illegal purposes? i.e. if the Landlord/agent cannot inspect the premises, is the Landlord assuming additional risks?

I fully agree with protecting the tenant's rights, but does this override the Landlord's right to protect themselves against legal action or financial loss due to uninsured property damage?

Schocca.

Eeek! My answer to 'fresh to the market' assumes this is a normal tenant, albeit a bit of an awkward one. I am no lawyer and the answers I trot out here are only parroting what I have picked up from this forum, in the smug knowledge that if I am wrong someone will correct me, which means I learn a bit more too.

Off the top of my head, if the LL suspects that something illegal is going on, then it would be his duty to inform the authorities, who would then go and bash his door down to check. I'm certainly not sure about the insurance situation, there have been some real horror stories though.