PDA

View Full Version : Advertising property

Ripsnort
03-10-2006, 09:45 AM
Any tips on advertising my property if I decide not to go through a letting agency? I don't want DHSS tenants.

The local paper would be a start but probably a bit hit and miss? Any other ideas?

Ericthelobster
03-10-2006, 10:00 AM
Any tips on advertising my property if I decide not to go through a letting agency? I don't want DHSS tenants.

The local paper would be a start but probably a bit hit and miss? Any other ideas?I think it depends highly on the area of the country and your target audience. In some places/markets I'm sure web adverts are the only way to go; round my way the local weekly paper is the only realistic route.

welshgold
03-10-2006, 10:02 AM

The local paper would be a start but probably a bit hit and miss? Any other ideas?

A notice on the property, a card in local newsagents windows/supermarket advertising boards(many have these, some free some at about 50p to £1- a week) ask other landlords to pass on your details to prospective tenants, if they have enquiries and no vacant properties.

Ripsnort
03-10-2006, 10:13 AM
Thanks, I'll try these routes. New to this so I don't know any other landlords though:rolleyes:

delsee
03-10-2006, 10:14 AM
In some places/markets I'm sure web adverts are the only way to go
For me, Gumtree generated the most enquiries.

pootle
06-10-2006, 14:55 PM
I agree - Gumtree has generated loads of interest for my property too.

Ripsnort
06-10-2006, 21:56 PM
We now have a tenant found by the letting agency who has now been credit checked and is moving in a week today:cool: They also had another couple of people interested.

I've also had 2 enquiries from cards I put in shop windows after your suggestion. I'm absolutely amazed at the response we've had. Have we just been lucky or are there alot of potential tenants out there? We only completed on the house 7 days ago.

MeeshDude
09-10-2006, 22:08 PM
Another method is to put an ad in your local gym. I have had some good leads that way.

P.Pilcher
10-10-2006, 08:54 AM
Beware - there are a lot of people out there who nobody really wants as tenants because they damage property, fail to pay their rent and know exactly what to do to prolong their stay as much as possible when their unfortunate landlord takes legal action to remove them. They know that they are unlikely to pass the checks a good professional letting agent will apply to them, so watch out for landlords who advertise privately in the hope that such individuals will not be so thorough or experienced with their checking procedures! I speak from experience!

P.P.