PDA

View Full Version : Transfer of Service Charge Payment

Serial Lurker
08-03-2011, 16:19 PM
Here is a summary of the situation that I would be grateful for some advice on:

I own a new build (now 5 years old) city centre apartment
Solitaire/Perval initially were the managing agents and collected service charges
In April 2010 I received a letter from 'A' property company stating that they were now managing agents.
'A' property company have issued service charge demands for year April 2010 to End March 2011.
'A' property company have also issued the balancing service charge for the year April 2009 to April 2010. They claim that the invoices have been passed from Solitaire to themselves to pay.

My questions:

What other documentation do I need to see from 'A' property company before paying the service charge
Do I need to pay the balancing service charge for the year April 2009 to April 2010 to 'A' property company. I believe these debts stay with Solitaire. Please can you clarify?

jeffrey
08-03-2011, 16:45 PM
For which party is 'A' acting?

Serial Lurker
08-03-2011, 17:02 PM
A claims to be the new property management company.

jeffrey
08-03-2011, 17:18 PM
A claims to be the new property management company.
Yes, but- again- for which party is 'A' acting?

Tulula
08-03-2011, 17:34 PM
You describe Solitaire /Peveral and 'A' as "agents", therefore they are agents acting for (collecting for) someone, let's call that someone 'X'. Whatever you owed to 'X' when Solitaire were agents you still owe to 'X' now that 'A' are collecting for them, and that includes balancing charges generated when Solitaire were the agent.

jeffrey
08-03-2011, 17:58 PM
But who are all these parties? Whether Solitaire/Peverel/A/X, an agent is merely someone who acts on behalf of someone else. None of us yet knows:
a. who owns what; nor
b. who is whose agent!

Serial Lurker
09-03-2011, 09:15 AM
'A' property company are acting or claim to be acting on behalf of the freehold company who owns the freehold of the block of flats.

Tulula
09-03-2011, 09:36 AM
Well then see my post above. If you want confirmation that 'A' are legitimately appointed ask the freeholder.

leaseholdanswers
09-03-2011, 10:27 AM
To clarify agents act for a freeholder. They hold the money on trust, you do not pay to Peveral Solitaires themselves but into an account they hold for a client, the freeholder.

Look at old invoices and new invoice under "Notice under section 47 and 48 ,,, th name of the landlord is X.

Is X the same person on both? If so then the freeholder is the same, the account is simply now controlled by someone else.

ram
09-03-2011, 20:53 PM
I have heard on here, that unless the previous Managing agent or the free holder informs you that they have transfered the the management of the block to xyz company, then you should not pay have to pay any demands. ( You of course have to save the service charge, as you expect to pay every month / year )

Any one can write to you and ask you to send the service charge to them, but unless the original one informs you that they are transfering the management to "A", don't pay -- yet.

Debts don't stay with Solitaire, they are your debts, your agreement to pay service charges 2010 and 2011. So if "A" ARE lookng after property
you are most certainly expected to pay.
If the alleged hand over had not taken place, you would have paid service charges all this time.

My Text does not proceed beyond this line, as this new V4 site cuts off
text on screen and makes it impossible on some pages to read the post,
so I keep mine up to here _____________________________________|
( The site is NOT P.C. compatable )

leaseholdanswers
10-03-2011, 09:39 AM
My Text does not proceed beyond this line, as this new V4 site cuts off
text on screen and makes it impossible on some pages to read the post,
so I keep mine up to here _____________________________________|
( The site is NOT P.C. compatable )

At the top right of the quick reply box ther are upp and down arrows which expand the box. Make sure that Silverlight is installed and up to date and the browser is the latest version.

Or are you one of those that likes to use ancient versions? I read some are still using netscape navigator!

leaseholdanswers
10-03-2011, 09:41 AM
A change of agent should be accompanied by a letter of authority normally a solicitor if an external freeholder or letter from the board for RTM RMC etc.

That said there is no legal requirement for a simple change to be notified.