PDA

View Full Version : Letter problems!!

nask70
30-09-2006, 21:01 PM
Has anyone ever tried to solve this problem: you let your property to the tenancy holder ie one person, the next thing you know you have received letters for someone else, it sounds strange it works like this, the tenant lives at the property but is actually helping a friend by using the address he rents for post so basically he is requesting post for a person who does not even live at the property. The only thing I could do was to send the post back.. Is there anything I can so to restrict such a crafty trick. Pls do let me know thanks.:mad:

davidjohnbutton
30-09-2006, 21:13 PM
I have sen instances with my own property of a tenant using false names or other names (like maiden womans name for example) to obtain credit either for goods or credit cards and then subsequently leaving the debt behind.

My policy with this is always to return the correspondence with a note explaining that I let the property from x date to y date to z name and I either do not know who this other person is, or I believe it to be the same tenant as applicable. I then give forwarding information in accordance with Section 35 of the Data Protection Act.

Where there is clear evidence of a fraud, I report the matter to the police.

nask70
30-09-2006, 21:21 PM
i think ur right i will go to the police as i opened one letter it was about credit cards nad the orther was based on the DVLA not so sure what this person is up-to but i will report it. thanks once again.

Worldlife
01-10-2006, 05:55 AM
How exactly is mail addressed to the person at the property, who is not a tenant, arriving in your hands?

A landlord should not intrude upon the right of a tenant to the privacy and enjoyment of his/her accommodation.

ATI
01-10-2006, 10:05 AM
when you recieve a letter not addressed to you . the sensible thing to do is to write RTS and cross out the name and address and send it back.
end of story.

sometimes people create their own problems by being nozy. i have done that before and i got involved in trouble thinking i was doing the right thing. i was told off and even accused of breaking DPA. it is best to mind your business unless some one is making it yours.

pippay
01-10-2006, 10:26 AM
Your post reads in the present sense i.e. the tenant is still resident, so I will reply in that context.

Your statement is contradictory in that you state the tenant is actually helping his friend by allowing the address to be used as a postal address but then you contradict it by saying he is "requesting" post ...

which is it?

For all you know, it may well be the former e.g. his friend is out of the country for a while and still wants to receive his post ...

And what on earth are you doing tampering with post that not only isn't addressed to you (and therefore legally isn't yours to open) but also is being sent to an address where the resident tenants, still in situ, have a legal right to "quiet enjoyment" ?

How did you get hold of this post? by letting yourself into the property without the tenants knowledge or permission and then going through their post ??

Even if you feel you have "proof" of fraud it is not your place, or right, to actually form that opinion but the SENDERS of the correspondence and ONLY them. If they then want to involve the authorities, that is THEIR decision and not yours.

And why are you so bothered by it ? everyone knows that a debt follows the person not the property so what is it to you?

Just because you own the property doesn't mean you can meddle in your tenants' private affaires.

it sounds strange it works like this, the tenant lives at the property but is actually helping a friend by using the address he rents for post so basically he is requesting post for a person who does not even live at the property.

davidjohnbutton
01-10-2006, 11:26 AM
When a tenant has left one of my properties and left debts behind, including rent arrears - I do sift through the subsequently received mail, discarding circulars and returning the rest as stated above. What I am particularly looking for is any intimation that either utility suppliers or bailiffs are intending to force entry to my property.

Some 20 years ago I re-let a property following the eviction of a debt ridden tenant. One morning, very early, the tenant and her daughter were woken by the sound of the front door being stove in - seconds later they had armed police pointing guns at them. The police were looking for my former tenant in connection with an armed incident and thought he still lived there!
Five years on, the mother and daughter were still having treatment for nerves and the police made a very large payout and I got a new front door!

No police oficer has ever suggested that I broke the law by opening mail addressed to the tenant where I suspected and reported possible fraud and produced said opened mail and made a statement that I opened it and why!

My contention is that if the tenant wants his mail to remain private after he has left - pay for a redirection order or run the risk of me opening any mail to find out why he has done a runner! If the tenant leaves a forwarding address with me, then his/her mail will be sent on untouched.

pippay
01-10-2006, 12:04 PM
Your missing my point DJB - the OP infers the tenant is still in situ and resident .. and therefore he, as a LL has no right to interfere with ANY mail for that address.

I agree that the LL must use his instincts to deal with post arriving AFTER a tenant has left .. but not while a tenant is still resident.

I sympathise with your former tenants but be honest, is this not an extreme exception rather than a rule ???? Even police intelligence can be out of date regardless of Royal mail re-direction !!!!!

When a tenant has left one of my properties and left debts behind, including rent arrears - I do sift through the subsequently received mail, discarding circulars and returning the rest as stated above. What I am particularly looking for is any intimation that either utility suppliers or bailiffs are intending to force entry to my property. Quite so .. but this poster infers the tenant is still resident

Some 20 years ago I re-let a property following the eviction of a debt ridden tenant. One morning, very early, the tenant and her daughter were woken by the sound of the front door being stove in - seconds later they had armed police pointing guns at them. The police were looking for my former tenant in connection with an armed incident and thought he still lived there!
Five years on, the mother and daughter were still having treatment for nerves and the police made a very large payout and I got a new front door!

No police oficer has ever suggested that I broke the law by opening mail addressed to the tenant where I suspected and reported possible fraud and produced said opened mail and made a statement that I opened it and why!

My contention is that if the tenant wants his mail to remain private after he has left - but this Poster , as already stated, infers his tenant is still in situ and resident .. pay for a redirection order or run the risk of me opening any mail to find out why he has done a runner! If the tenant leaves a forwarding address with me, then his/her mail will be sent on untouched.

Ericthelobster
01-10-2006, 12:23 PM
The police were looking for my former tenant in connection with an armed incident and thought he still lived there!Hmm - how are your tenant-vetting procedures, DJB? ;)

davidjohnbutton
01-10-2006, 13:51 PM
My tenant vetting procedures are excellent - however, this person whom the police were seeking was not installed by myself - he was a regulated tenant put in by previous managing agents some 15 years previous.

People can and do change, not always for the better. That nice young man you install in one of your houses/flats might well be one of the Bulger murderers!!!!

And Pippay, yes, I did realise the op infers their tenant was still resident.

pippay
01-10-2006, 14:15 PM
So what are your views in that scenario?

And Pippay, yes, I did realise the op infers their tenant was still resident.

nask70
03-10-2006, 08:08 AM
ok, the mail is only seen by me because i have a property which has a hallway so i full rights to enter the hallway but not the tenants flat. so all the mail ends up in the hallway, so i sometimes notice letters that do not belong to the present tenants nor do they belong to pervious tenants. the only option i have is to return them, however rencently i have received letters from baliffs and i mean have recieved about 63 in total, and they are addressed to a person who does not even live at the property so what do u expect me to do?..anyway i have sloved the problem by returing them. thanks,, oh i have also reported the tenant to the police for using my address for somebody elses mail.