PDA

View Full Version : How to calculate remaining rent when moving out

citro1
03-03-2011, 19:09 PM
Hello,

I'm a tenant in the UK, I moved out on Feb 25th but had transfered the rent for the whole month already.
How do you calculate how much I'll have to get back?
Please bear with me if this seems like a stupid question.. but I'm not familiar with UK laws.

By using common sense I'd go with this:
Simply assuming 30 days is a standard month it would be
monthly rent divided by 30, times remaining days till 30

Does that make sense?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Mrs Mug
03-03-2011, 19:18 PM
What was the start date of your tenancy agreement, dd/mm/yy?
How long was the term, 6/12 months?
Did you pay rent weekly or monthly?

Poppy35
03-03-2011, 19:21 PM
you would generally

say

Monthly rent x 12 months = yearly rent. Divide this figure by 365 and you get a daily rent. Multiple this amount by 24 (if this was the last day of your tenancy) and take this amount from what you paid and thats what you should get back.

However the above does assume you gave correct notice etc

mind the gap
03-03-2011, 19:36 PM
It also assumes that the LL has agreed to refund you proportionately, as rent paid in advance is not normally refundable even if the tenancy is terminated early.

westminster
03-03-2011, 19:50 PM
I'm a tenant in the UK, I moved out on Feb 25th but had transfered the rent for the whole month already.
Moving out does not necessarily end your rental liability. Depending on your answers to Mrs Mug's questions (and mine below), you may even be liable for a further month's rent in lieu of notice.

My Qs:
Was the rental property in England/Wales, and the landlord non-resident?
Did you give notice to quit?
If so, what date did you give it?
If not, did anything else happen to end the tenancy?

citro1
03-03-2011, 22:13 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies!

To be exact, it's a shared flat in England. I don't have a contract, it's sublet by the person holding the lease (living in the flat too).
Now I wonder if that's actually legal, by the way. Yes, naive in hindsight, moving somewhere without a contract, but it didn't seem uncommon.
I've been there for about a year, we got along well, then got the notice to move, cause that person wanted the room for a friend.
I moved out on time and left the place immaculately. No dispute or something, we quit on ok terms.
I had a standing order and paid for the whole month, to be honest it occured to me only later that that wasn't fair.

westminster
03-03-2011, 23:57 PM
To be exact, it's a shared flat in England. I don't have a contract, it's sublet by the person holding the lease (living in the flat too).
If your landlord lived with you, you were not a tenant, but a lodger (a.k.a. excluded occupier). See
http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/renting_and_leasehold/private_tenancies/excluded_occupiers

Now I wonder if that's actually legal, by the way. Yes, naive in hindsight, moving somewhere without a contract, but it didn't seem uncommon.
It isn't illegal. And verbal/oral contracts are just as valid as written ones - just harder to prove if need be.

I've been there for about a year, we got along well, then got the notice to move, cause that person wanted the room for a friend.
I moved out on time and left the place immaculately. No dispute or something, we quit on ok terms.
I had a standing order and paid for the whole month, to be honest it occured to me only later that that wasn't fair.
If you moved out at the expiry of the LL's notice, then I think it would be fair, and you'd be entitled, to get the overpaid rent back in the circumstances. As Poppy35 says, you calculate the daily rate by working out the total for the year, and dividing by 365.

Lawcruncher
04-03-2011, 08:47 AM
It also assumes that the LL has agreed to refund you proportionately, as rent paid in advance is not normally refundable even if the tenancy is terminated early.

We do though need to distinguish the situation where the tenant pays more rent than he needed to.

Say we have a fixed term tenancy that ends on 30th May, but where the rent is payable on the 15th of the month. Come 15th May the tenant need only pay rent for the period 15th to 30th May. If he pays a full month's rent but leaves on 30th May he is entitled to a refund.

mind the gap
04-03-2011, 09:13 AM
We do though need to distinguish the situation where the tenant pays more rent than he needed to.

Say we have a fixed term tenancy that ends on 30th May, but where the rent is payable on the 15th of the month. Come 15th May the tenant need only pay rent for the period 15th to 30th May. If he pays a full month's rent but leaves on 30th May he is entitled to a refund.

Yes, I agree. It seems to have been a fairly informal arrangement, doesn't it?