PDA

View Full Version : Fitting of Shelves

Beeber
28-09-2006, 15:33 PM
Hi,

Would appreciate how you would deal with a request from a tenant to have shelves fitted in the property whose belongings have outgrown their room.

1. Push back on the grounds that its outwith the obligations of a landlord to resolve their storage problems and because it may lead to further requests to change fixtures, fittings and furniture going forward
2. Agree to request for the sake of tenant relations and install them yourselves so you know they will be fitted well
3. Consent to the tenant purchasing and arranging the install of the shelves at their own expense and reminding them that any damage caused by a poor install could affect the deposit

I imagine that I will get a range of responses across options 1 to 3 but would appreciate any feedback

thanks

MrShed
28-09-2006, 15:41 PM
I would say definitely not 1, unless there was very good reason as to why shelves could not be fitted. Personally, would probably go for 3, but 2 or 3 would be acceptable to me.

welshgold
28-09-2006, 15:44 PM
if you have a good tenant, and you are able to fit yourself, my vote would go to option 2.

Ericthelobster
28-09-2006, 18:26 PM
Is the request 'sensible' in that will the shelves look OK, and not out of place or excessive where they are to be positioned? If so, then I'd assume they would be an asset to the property and likely to be attractive to the next tenant; so I'd probably go for option 2. If they'd look a bit daft, and you'd want them away before another tenant inspected the property, then maybe option 3.

ATI
28-09-2006, 22:14 PM
Hi,

Would appreciate how you would deal with a request from a tenant to have shelves fitted in the property whose belongings have outgrown their room.

1. Push back on the grounds that its outwith the obligations of a landlord to resolve their storage problems and because it may lead to further requests to change fixtures, fittings and furniture going forward
2. Agree to request for the sake of tenant relations and install them yourselves so you know they will be fitted well
3. Consent to the tenant purchasing and arranging the install of the shelves at their own expense and reminding them that any damage caused by a poor install could affect the deposit

I imagine that I will get a range of responses across options 1 to 3 but would appreciate any feedback

thanks
I would always say sit down and talk and compromise. everyone wants to feel warn and happy.

pippay
29-09-2006, 07:26 AM
I'm a tenant and with the best will in the world, I know how I put up shelves :o ... if you do it yourself at least you know they'll be straight ???

Or option 3 if you want to take the risk.

RichieP
29-09-2006, 07:39 AM
Maybe you know how to do it pippay, but there's no guarantee that other tenants can do it properly.

I'd do it myself for the tenant, after they bought them.

pippay
29-09-2006, 14:08 PM
OOOps !! my mistake - typing in such a hurry .. I meant to say with the best will in the world, I DON't know how to put up shelves .....
Maybe you know how to do it pippay, but there's no guarantee that other tenants can do it properly.

I'd do it myself for the tenant, after they bought them.

johnboy
29-09-2006, 17:35 PM
Bear in mind that some tenants standards of good diy is differant to others.

I would give them writen permission to put up the shelves on the condition that they are taken down IF requested at end of tenanacy and any damage/marks/holes made good or deposit will be reduced. Get them to sign it and keep a copy. Also take a photo of area before so theres no confusion.

It might seem a bit long winded, but it should help if they do a botch up job and you dont want to get in the habit of doing diy you dont have to.

pms
29-09-2006, 22:24 PM
Come on this is a bit petty isn't it.If it was alterations to the structure then yes. But putting up shelves is going a bit to far. I wouldn't actually put it within the scope of planning permission.
:D

johnboy
30-09-2006, 10:50 AM
Your quite right pms it is a bit petty but it is not unusual for LL to restrict decorating untill writen permission given so whats the differance with shelves??

They might be planning to put up shelves 10 foot long made out of scaffold planks which might be ok for them but what happens when they leave. Its left to the LL to put it right at his expence cos he said "yeah go ahead its only a couple of shelves"

For the sake a 5 min letter and a quick photo you could save youself some grief later.