PDA

View Full Version : Letting agent trying it on?

essexlandlord
28-09-2006, 14:35 PM
O.K...heres a good one

Tenancy vacates early , pays landlords reletting fees

new tenant is found BUT agent delays them moving in because of essential elctrcial work.

Agent is still charging old tenant for rent whilst electrical work is being carried out.

Thanks

MrShed
28-09-2006, 14:45 PM
Sounds dodgy to me - if the property had to be vacant for the work to be done, then they would have had a void at the end of the tenancy anyway. Tell them to pay up, they should not be claiming rent for this period.

essexlandlord
28-09-2006, 15:19 PM
The agents are also refusing to tell them what the essential works are. Surely if they are still the rent paying tenants they have a right to know.

Ericthelobster
28-09-2006, 18:28 PM
The agents are also refusing to tell them what the essential works are. Surely if they are still the rent paying tenants they have a right to know.I'd say so - if the works are indeed essential, what on earth would be the problem with coming clean with what they are?

essexlandlord
03-10-2006, 14:49 PM
The agent has now phoned the tenant at work and advised them that the cooker and lighting needs to be rewired and they cannot move the new tenant in until this has been done.

They have also acused them of keeping a key and arranging for electrical work to be carried out after they moved out

P.Pilcher
03-10-2006, 17:00 PM
As the old tenant, holding a valid tenancy agreement and still paying rent, I would be tempted to telephone the agent and state that I was moving back in until the end of my term forthwith. The agent would then have to reply that ths would be impossible because of the state of the place, thus I would say O.K. then you can forget any further rental payments!

P.P.