PDA

View Full Version : Water Meter

blaster
27-09-2006, 18:01 PM
WE HAVE JUST RETURNED TO OUR PROPERTY HAVING HAD A TENANT IN PLACE FOR 10 MONTHS ON I THINK A 2 MONTH ROLLING TENANCY THROUGH AN AGENT. WE HAVE JUST FOUND OUT THAT 2 WEEKS BEFORE THEY MOVED OUT THEY HAD A WATER METER FITTED ALTHOUGH THEY WERE NOT ABLE TO GIVE PERMISSION UNDER THE TENANCY AGREEMENT BUT THE WATER BOARD WILL NOT NOW REMOVE IT!! ANY ADVICE AS WE HAVE A FAMILY AND THIS WILL GREATLY INCREASE OUR WATER BILL:confused:

Ericthelobster
27-09-2006, 18:23 PM
WE HAVE JUST RETURNED TO OUR PROPERTY HAVING HAD A TENANT IN PLACE FOR 10 MONTHS ON I THINK A 2 MONTH ROLLING TENANCY THROUGH AN AGENT. WE HAVE JUST FOUND OUT THAT 2 WEEKS BEFORE THEY MOVED OUT THEY HAD A WATER METER FITTED ALTHOUGH THEY WERE NOT ABLE TO GIVE PERMISSION UNDER THE TENANCY AGREEMENT BUT THE WATER BOARD WILL NOT NOW REMOVE IT!! ANY ADVICE AS WE HAVE A FAMILY AND THIS WILL GREATLY INCREASE OUR WATER BILL:confused:Yes, STOP SHOUTING!!!

This query came up on another forum I frequent, and the outcome was that the water company are allowed to do this - see relevant part of the law (I think) at http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1999/19990009.htm#6

Are you sure it will definitely increase your bill? Most users find it reduces unless you have a leak, which puts the onus formly on the bill payer to sort it out (which is the main idea of metering)

tazhull
27-09-2006, 20:11 PM
Just wanted to say i think there may be a way out of having to have the water meter, my mum had one fitted and in the small print it said if she found that within the first 12 months is was more expensive for her to have the meter then it could be removed. i rang the water company regarding a meter bill for her the other day and it turns out her bill is bigger with the meter than before and they reminded us it could be removed so thats what they are doing.
So may be worth ringing them to find out if they will remove it but you may have to try it out first IYSWIM