PDA

View Full Version : Rent Arrears

mary44
26-09-2006, 13:40 PM
Please can anyone help. I have had a tenent in a 3 bdr house with 2 children and a partner. This tenent has now been in arrears with her rent mth after mth since she moved in at end of May. The Ho Exc pay some money towards the rent but she is to pay the top up which amount to £19 per week which I havent received from her after endless phone calls and visits. She now is saying she is moving out Oct 20th so what can I do. I am new to this and dont know what to do for the best as I have tried with her. Also she is saying the house is damp and she would need to claim of me for damage to a pushchair but I had the house has been damp proofed before I bought it as I need a certitificate before I got Mortgage and it was fine. Please help. Mary

islandgirl
26-09-2006, 15:22 PM
Be happy to get rid of her I would say! Seriously don't believe the "I am going on such a date" bit. Issue a section 8 if she is over 2 months in arrears. Obviously if you have HB paid direct to you this won't be the case. If you dont have it paid directly to you, you are legally entitled to do so - tell the council about the arrears.
I have had a tenant say he was going to go on a certain day and then "change his mind" and wasted valuable time in issuing a secion 8.
Is it a 6 month tenancy or 12?
Dont worry about the accusation of damp - my tenant accused us of everythig from poor sewage to fly infestations, all bogus!
We had to "write off" arrears of over £2000 - just be glad if she does go in October...

johnjw
26-09-2006, 15:33 PM
Mary,
First of all be glad that she is moving out; your tenant and her family sound like trouble. Presumably this is at the end of a 6 month AST.
However, don't be too surprised when the time comes, if she doesn't move out. I'd be inclined to give her two months notice now, just in case. If the end of the period is the 20th of the month, then the earliest date your notice can expire, is the 20th of December.
I would start legal action immediately to recover the arrears and you can do this quite cheaply using Money-claim-online. If you start now, at least you know the tenants address. Good luck.
John

mary44
07-11-2006, 13:00 PM
Thanks for reply. Just to let you know what happened. This family moved out
and left the house absolutely digusting. No structural damage but it will need gutted, they skipped out, took keys, no forwarding address and they didnt
pay arrears. I was wondering if there is anyway I can get them to pay as they have gotten another house though housing executive but they cannot give me their new address. I have also been getting their telephone bill and electric bills. Can you suggest anything as they never answered any of my letters etc.
Mary

Mary,
First of all be glad that she is moving out; your tenant and her family sound like trouble. Presumably this is at the end of a 6 month AST.
However, don't be too surprised when the time comes, if she doesn't move out. I'd be inclined to give her two months notice now, just in case. If the end of the period is the 20th of the month, then the earliest date your notice can expire, is the 20th of December.
I would start legal action immediately to recover the arrears and you can do this quite cheaply using Money-claim-online. If you start now, at least you know the tenants address. Good luck.
John

mary44
07-11-2006, 21:23 PM
Thanks for reply. Just to let you know what happened. This family moved out
and left the house absolutely digusting. No structural damage but it will need gutted, they skipped out, took keys, no forwarding address and they didnt
pay arrears. I was wondering if there is anyway I can get them to pay as they have gotten another house though housing executive but they cannot give me their new address. I have also been getting their telephone bill and electric bills. Can you suggest anything as they never answered any of my letters etc.
Mary

johnjw
08-11-2006, 07:42 AM
Mary,
Although the Housing Executive cannot give you your ex-tenants address, I think they would be prepared to forward the Utility bills. Your ex-tenants will be legally responsible for payment. Let the Utility companies know that you have done this, so that they too can communicate via the HE.
Regarding the arrears, I think these amount to about £400. If you can find the address you could sue them and at least have the satisfaction of getting a County Court Judgement against them. Getting the money may well be more difficult.

davidjohnbutton
08-11-2006, 08:34 AM
Report the tenants to the police for theft of the keys at least - also press them to regard the damage as criminal though I doubt you will have much success on that point as they will consider it a "civil matter"

Ericthelobster
08-11-2006, 12:37 PM
Although the Housing Executive cannot give you your ex-tenants address, I think they would be prepared to forward the Utility bills. Your ex-tenants will be legally responsible for payment. Let the Utility companies know that you have done this, so that they too can communicate via the HE.Why not just give the utility companies the contact details for the HE - let them do the chasing etc between them and takes it out of your hands. Utility bills in the tenant's name aren't your concern but it's still good to have your address dissassociated with the outstanding sums.

ATI
08-11-2006, 16:35 PM
bear in mind that an address will never be black listed(such list never existed and will never do so) . even if many people with similar surnames live together the only advert is when there is a join A/c etc.. otherwise each person is treated separately regardless who how many fraud has been committed in that property.