PDA

View Full Version : Tenant is pursued for post-tenancy property damage

hatchi
25-09-2006, 17:42 PM
PLEASE HELP, I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO !!

MY OLD LANDLORD IS TRYING TO GET £770 OFF ME FOR THINGS THAT ARE APPARENTLY WRONG WITH MY OLD FLAT AFTER I'VE LEFT.

HE HAS APPROXIMATLEY 17 PROPERTIES AND I THINK THERE ALL WITH ONE LETTING AGENCY (MY OLD ONE) AND I'M FEELING QUITE SMALL COMPAIRED.

WHEN I LEFT I TOLD THEM TO KEEP MY DEPOSIT AS MY LAST MONTS RENT, WHICH THEY DID. THEY RANG ME TO SAY THEY WERE INSPECTING THE PROPERTY BUT I COULDNT BE THERE AS I WAS 120 MILES AWAY.

WHEN THEY EVENTUALLY RANG ME TO TELL ME HOW IT WENT I WAS GOB SMACKED.

THEY SAID THE FLAT WAS DIRTY, THE FLOORS WERNT CLEANED (I MOPPED AND VACUMED BEFORE I LEFT) THERE WERE SOME SCRATCHES ON THE LAMINATE BUT THAT WAS WEAR AND TEAR, THERE WERE COBWEBS, BUT AS I COMMENTED, WHEN I MOVED OUT I DIDNT MOVE THE SPIDERS WITH ME, THERE WAS MOULD FROM CONDENSATION AROUND THE WINDOWS (THE LANDLORD HAD LEFT ONE SMALL HUMIDIFIER FOR THE WHOLE FLAT WHICH WAS VERY EXPENSIVE AND WHEN I MOVED IN I NOTICED THAT HIS DECORATORS HAD PAINTED OVER IT AND ON EVERY WINDOW THE RUBBER SEALS HAD ROTTED AWAY AND WAS THE CAUSE OF THE DAMP). THEY ALSO SAID THE COOKER WASNT CLEANED BUT I COULDNT COMMENT ON THAT AS I LEFT SOMEONE TO DO IT.

BUT I HAVE NOW HAD A LETTER ASKING FOR £770 FOR THE FOLLOWING THINGS:-

Clean of property where necessary - £200.00
(OK BECAUSE OF THE COOKER)

Lounge floor scratched, remove skirting, remove flooring panels which have been affected, replace damaged panel and replace skirting - £200.00
(THEY PREVIOUSLY SAID IT WAS WEAR AND TEAR AND MENTIONED NOTHING OF THE SKIRTING)

Marks to walls are beyond fair wear and tear, for full repaint of property Mr. Sporer will have to pay £450.00, therefore will only charge compensation at £225.00
(THE ONLY THING I CAN THINK OF WAS A MARK ON THE KITCHEN WALL BEHIND THE BIN AND ONE SMALL ONE IN THE BEDROOM, BUT NOTHING NEEDING A FULL FLAT REPAINT!)

The management company are charging Mr. Sporer legal fees for appointment of a solicitor over the company van you had parked in the car park and the unauthorized keeping of a dog at the property. This cost also includes the cleaning of the communal areas after the dog urinated in the hallways - £145.00 (copy letters from the management company can be provided on request, this cost may rise due to any future action taken by the management company)
(I HAD A COMPANY VAN PARKED THERE BUT THIS STOPPED BACK IN MAY AND THE DOG WAS MY MOTHERS I WAS LOOKING AFTER FOR TWO WEEKS AND MY LANDLORD KNEW ALL THIS AND INFACT EACH TIME HE RANG ME TO TELL ME HE HAD A COMPLAINT HE WAS APPOLOGETIC FOR DISTURBING ME AND SAID HOW PATHETIC THE NEIGHBOURS WERE AND MENTIONED NOTHING OF PAYING HIS LEGAL FEES AND THE DOG NEVER URINATED ANYWHERE!!! WHAT PROOF HAS HE!!?)

PLEASE HELP, I'M SO WORRIED, WHAT CAN I DO???

Ericthelobster
25-09-2006, 17:53 PM
PLEASE HELP, I'M SO WORRIED, WHAT CAN I DO???Well for a start you can press the [CAPSLOCK] key... seriously, your post is really hard to read.

Questions:
1. You don't mention an inventory: was one carried out and signed by you (to show your agreement) when you originally moved in?

2. When did you move in and how long did you live there for? (because what might be considered fair wear and tear over 5 years might not be fair over 6 months).

WHEN I LEFT I TOLD THEM TO KEEP MY DEPOSIT AS MY LAST MONTS RENT, WHICH THEY DIDBut I'll bet you they didn't agree to it, did they? ie, they had no choice in the matter. For the record, that behaviour really gets up most landlords' noses - because they are then left with no deposit to cover any damage after you've moved out, which is exactly why a deposit is taken. While this certainly shouldn't affect the outcome of the check-out, it's not exactly likely to help them give you the benefit of the doubt!

hatchi
25-09-2006, 18:16 PM
Hi,

Ill try without the caps!!

Well there was one but i never signed it and sent it back.

I lived there for about 10 months but when i moved in the place had just been redecorated so everything was brand new. But surely when you start off with something new your not going to end up with it the same, it's going to be brand new (wear and tear) because its being lived in for the first time?!?!

Ericthelobster
25-09-2006, 18:42 PM
Well there was one but i never signed it and sent it back.Well unfortunately for the landlord, his failure to chase it up means he has no proof as to the condition of the property when you signed the contract, so he's up the creek as regards claiming anything off you.

hatchi
25-09-2006, 19:12 PM
:) I never even thought of that. But what about these legal fees his on about. He never asked me to cover any costs at the time and in fact was sorry to disturb me!

Ericthelobster
25-09-2006, 19:27 PM
:) I never even thought of that. But what about these legal fees his on about. He never asked me to cover any costs at the time and in fact was sorry to disturb me!Sounds a bit OTT, but what exactly were the legal costs for in relation to your van? What's the story there - the FULL story?!

hatchi
25-09-2006, 19:40 PM
Well there was a parking space for my flat and a couple of visitors ones, I parked a van in a visitors and had a complaint from the residents association saying no commercial vans were allowed. My landlord called me and advised me of the complaint and suggested parking it in my space, we did and it still got complaints (back in May). Then the residents association complained I had a dog in the flat. The landlord called to ask about it and I confirmed there was a dog for about two weeks in the property when I was looking after it for my mother. He was fine with that and said he'd go back and let them know. He then called me to say he still had complaints about a van in the car park. I had stopped parking it in there back in May. But confirmed that I had a Range Rover that was now parking there but it wasn’t a van!!! He commented on how pathetic he finds and had found the residents association and that’s the last I heard!

Ericthelobster
25-09-2006, 19:46 PM
What's that got to do with solicitor's costs?

hatchi
25-09-2006, 20:07 PM
Apparently the residents association can get rid of you if you go against any of there rules on parking, pets, etc so he appointed a solicitor. I know of three complaints about the parking and the dog and a recent one apparently about the dog urinating in the public hallway! Whether he had anymore about anything I do not know, he hasn't told me