PDA

View Full Version : Problem with tenants upstairs

kooo
22-09-2006, 17:04 PM
I am a leaseholder and am having problems with the flat above me which rented out to tenants. Every few months they seem to have some sort of water problem and it is leaking into my bedroom. The ceiling is a mess and it is very distressing. 2 years ago when there was a very serious leak, I managed to get into contact with the landlord who fixed my ceiling for me. But recently it has been happening again. The leaking is not as much as before, but it is happening every few months/ weeks. It happened again yesterday but for a few mintues but when I knocked on their door they said they didnt have any problem with their water.

It is very difficult to get into contact with their landlord, who has been quite disagreeable so far. I have been living with this for too long and wish to take some sort of action.

Is there anyway of taking this case to court without having to pay huge solicior fees? The council are refusing to do anything because they say the house above is privately owned, and it is between them and me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ericthelobster
22-09-2006, 17:47 PM
I am a leaseholder and am having problems with the flat above me which rented out to tenants. Every few months they seem to have some sort of water problem and it is leaking into my bedroom. The ceiling is a mess and it is very distressing. 2 years ago when there was a very serious leak, I managed to get into contact with the landlord who fixed my ceiling for me. But recently it has been happening again. The leaking is not as much as before, but it is happening every few months/ weeks. It happened again yesterday but for a few mintues but when I knocked on their door they said they didnt have any problem with their water.If it's intermittent in nature it implies the leak is most likely of waste water (ie at low pressure); if that's leaking under their floor then they sure, won't know anything about it. (I have an occasionally leaking shower upstairs at home, and there's certainly no symptoms whatsover upstairs, but you certainly know about it downstairs!).

Do you know what the cause was last time? Do you know what room is above your bedroom? Chances are it's a recurrence of the same thing.

Suggestion/hint - if you suspect that the leak is sewage - and who knows, it might be :eek: then I would be very surprised if your local environmental health dept did not take some interest, if you're getting nowhere with the owner.