PDA

View Full Version : White Goods

richmond
21-09-2006, 20:31 PM
:confused: I recently moved into a property that had all the whitegoods, i.e. washing machine, fridge, freezer.

The washing machine was rubbish, never worked from day one, and I told the landlord it was rubbish on day one, well not in so many words, I asked him to fix it he made out it hadn't been a problem and I should fix it. I refused. I thought I had rented a property with a washing machine. He said it wasn't worth fixing and that he would buy another took it away and that was the end of the washing machine.

Do I have the right to buy another washing machine, say second hand and take the money out of the rent?

MrShed
21-09-2006, 20:32 PM
Yes - it is your right of offset. But, write to him first and tell him you intend to do this.

richmond
23-09-2006, 10:44 AM
Thanks very much for your reply, I now have another problem.

I have asked him and his wife several times to give me their address, they refuse, by looking the other way and changing the subject. I am aware that am entitiled to this. But how do I force the postion

attilathelandlord
23-09-2006, 11:25 AM
Without a Section 48 notice ie notice of an address for the landlord, the tenant does not have to pay rent until that is provided.

Try that one and see how quickly they comply!

Out of interest, what address did the landlord give you for him on the tenancy agreement. Another way would be to look at the land registry and see where the landlord is registered. Do you even know you are dealing with the actual owner.

It never ceases to amaze me when I let out property that very few people want to see my bona fides!

Ericthelobster
23-09-2006, 13:25 PM
Do you even know you are dealing with the actual owner. It never ceases to amaze me when I let out property that very few people want to see my bona fides! I must admit, as an LL that issue had never occurred to me! I've certainly never been asked by a tenant. Wonder if a tenant's ever done a land registry check on any of my properties? I very much doubt it.

LMT
23-09-2006, 13:59 PM
With regards to the washing machine, if you don't want to fork out to buy a new one you could get one on a rental contract, this would include a service contract to fix it if it broke down. I know a few landlords who use a service like this as it's much more straightforward if there is a breakdown to tell the tenant to call the service number rather than the landlord if there is a problem with the machine. Then the rental company collect the machine at the end of the contract. You could use right of offset against the rent each month. You would of course have to notify the landlord in writing of your intention and give him a reasonable amount of time to get you a new washing machine first. If you can't send the letter to the landlord as you have no address then tell him he needs to collect his rent payment and put your letter in the same envelope.

Ruth Less
23-09-2006, 18:38 PM
I've certainly never been asked by a tenant. Wonder if a tenant's ever done a land registry check on any of my properties? I very much doubt it.

I do this check, plus any others that apply. I like to know who my landlord is! I also ask the letting agent what the landlords intentions are regarding selling in the future etc. I even tracked down the previous owners of the flat and sent on the hand written cards that had been piling up for them.

My landlord was in dispute with the freeholder who didn't know if the landlord had moved so asked me if I knew anything. He was a little surprised to be given a rather large set of details :)

richmond
24-09-2006, 08:57 AM
Where do I find the use of this? I would love to know if he pays tax on his rent as well.

I am cancelling my stop order tomorrow and keeping mum till I hear from them. Which will be fast that is for sure. What if he just gives me notice and takes the deposit? Which I think may be the case.

I asked them to fix some tiles in the bathroom and put up some shelves etc after I paid last month and she said no, she was going to re-do the bathroom, 'but I don't know when and if you don't like it, I will understand that you want to cancel your lease'

I asked them for a bona-fida tenancy agreement when I paid part of the deposit to reserve the property. Two days after I moved in I got a piece of paper, with a list of rules basically, I told them it doesn't hold water, but they insisted. So there is no tenancy agreement or inventory but the problem is I love this house and I look after it because it is my home. I don't really want to move. And she knows it. I cannot beleive people can be so immoral.

When I moved in the heating, oven, and washing machine were not working. The last tenants must have had problems getting these fixed. I complained and they gave me back my deposit and told me to leave. I went straight to the council housing dept, and came home and told them what they had to do. They complied, because I put the wind up them. They always have foreigners in their properties. I am South African and the last people were Zimbabwean. So we don't know the rules.

My LL and Llady are makiing up their own rules as they go along.

Anyway my orginal question was, what if I refuse the rent, can they give me notice?

Thanks

attilathelandlord
24-09-2006, 10:43 AM
In the absence of anything written then you have a 6 months AST. It is an oral agreement.

Yes the landlord can give you notice, earliest leaving time will be after the expiry of the initial 6 months fixed period.

In the same way that I wouldn't accept bad behaviour from my tenants, don't accept bad behaviour from your landlord.

They have set their behaviourial standard and it ain't going to get any better. If I were you I'd move elswhere. You don't have more than six months security of tenure anyway.

www.landregisteronline.gov.uk is the web site for checking who owns the property.

As for whether the landlord is paying tax on the rent, well that's none of your business (unless s/he's an overseas landlord so you'd be required to keep back 25% and pay over to the Inland Revenue) and the very least of your problems.

As a point of interest I suggest my tenants check that I own the property, just as part of their learning curve. I have had tenants who have put deposit and rent down on property just to find that the person they gave the money to doesn't own it and then promptly disappeared!

Maybe I'm just getting old but I check everything these days!

Ericthelobster
24-09-2006, 11:04 AM
In the absence of anything written then you have a 6 months AST. It is an oral agreement.Indeed, and in some respects you shouldn't worry about it, because the lack of a paper agreement probably gives you more in the way of rights by default, than if you had signed up to specific wording stipulated by your LL.

The downside of course is that in reality, your LL is a complete muppet who doesn't know any of this, is ignorant of his responsibilities, and consequently will make your life awkward, as he is already doing. For example - you may allow yourself a grin to think that he won't legally be able to make any deductions for damage at the end of the tenancy, simply because he's daft enough not to have agreed an inventory with you at the outset.... however, it's a foregone conclusion that what will happen is that he will make deductions, and you will be forced into the aggravation of taking legal action to recover them. Capeesh?

richmond
25-09-2006, 09:28 AM
Thank you all very much for your advice. Much appreciated.

I made an inventory and i photographed everything when I came in. I also have electronic copies of all my correspondence with him/her. I don't know that they are muppets, I think they know exactly what they are doing. The woman before the Zimbabweans was and American, that they mentioned used to ring them in the middle of the night. I wonder why.

Do I go to the local libary for the land registry?

pippay
25-09-2006, 15:53 PM
Try an internet search ..

Do I go to the local libary for the land registry?

Ericthelobster
25-09-2006, 15:59 PM
Do I go to the local libary for the land registry?Better yet, try reading the answer which someone's already given you!! :D

richmond
26-09-2006, 21:20 PM
Thanks I went to it on-line and found the property, could you tell me if his address would be on the title register or on the transfer documents. The transfer document is 1987. Do they have to inform the Land Registry if they move? Or will this document have his address from 1987?

Thanks

Surrey
26-09-2006, 22:33 PM
Thanks I went to it on-line and found the property, could you tell me if his address would be on the title register or on the transfer documents. The transfer document is 1987. Do they have to inform the Land Registry if they move? Or will this document have his address from 1987?

Thanks

AFAIK they're only £2 each, why not get both?

richmond
27-09-2006, 08:07 AM
What does that mean? If i get both the total is £7 and I have rent to pay:D . If I get details fron 1987 its not going to be much help is it?

Surrey
27-09-2006, 08:30 AM
What does that mean? If i get both the total is £7 and I have rent to pay:D . If I get details fron 1987 its not going to be much help is it?

afaik = As Far As I Know. Sorry!

Did you let through an agent? If so, you should be able to get the landlord's address from them as they would be obliged to provide it.

And there are people who live in the same house for donkeys' years, so even if it does have the landlord's address from 1987 that could still be their address. Furthermore, if you are ever obliged to take matters further by resorting to court action you will be able to serve papers on them at the address that is on the property deeds as that will be their "last known address". If they haven't received them because they haven't kept the information up-to-date, that's their problem.