PDA

View Full Version : Are AST Contracts by Oyez...

BEDSITBARRY
31-01-2011, 22:41 PM
Are AST contracts by Oyez considered to be a legal document? How much weight do they hold?

Snorkerz
31-01-2011, 22:56 PM
They are as much a 'legal document' as any other AST - even one you write on the inside of a cornflake packet.

I have not read an Oyez one, but as they are a legal publisher I would imagine them to be competently drafted. The question you have to ask yourself is, "does this particular document contain the legitimate clauses and conditions that I want in the tenancy agreement?" If it doesn't, find one that does, or get a custom one written.

Lawcruncher
01-02-2011, 08:11 AM
I have not seen an Oyez document for a while, but on the whole they are fine so long as you do not tinker with them.

PaulF
01-02-2011, 08:43 AM
The Oyez document costs £9.50 which is too much. It also fails to give and explanation of terms. The RLA AST I would say is much better and is yours for a fiver, or free if you are a member. Alternatively there are some very good free ones on the internet and you only have to do a bit of research.

jjlandlord
01-02-2011, 08:48 AM
The Oyez document costs £9.50 which is too much.

Their website quotes £4.99.

Snorkerz
01-02-2011, 08:55 AM
The Oyez document costs £9.50 which is too much. It also fails to give and explanation of terms. The RLA AST I would say is much better and is yours for a fiver, or free if you are a member. Alternatively there are some very good free ones on the internet and you only have to do a bit of research.Some one with legal training may be able to tell the difference between a well drafted free AST template and a pile of (well, you know what).

I have repeatedly posted on here that a custom AST is a good investment. Sure, it may cost a few hundred pounds to have drafted, but you can make it cover just about every and any (lawful) requirement you might have. As you can then re-use it ad infinitum, the cost is relatively small (and tax allowable) when you consider the value of the contracts you are using it to protect.

However, failing that, if a LL wants a low cost AST then they should obtain it from a reputable supplier. Oyez would be one, and the RLA also. WHSmiths do one, written by Tessa Shepperson, for around a fiver.

PaulF
01-02-2011, 10:10 AM
The Oyez document costs £9.50 which is too much. It also fails to give and explanation of terms. The RLA AST I would say is much better and is yours for a fiver, or free if you are a member. Alternatively there are some very good free ones on the internet and you only have to do a bit of research.Sorry, yes it's £4.99