PDA

View Full Version : Landlord/Tenant: two cultures, no mutual comprehension

pms
20-09-2006, 22:36 PM
I often read on this forum that either the tenant or the landlord have "ripped" each other off.My own opinion is that we now have two cultures the landlord and the tenant.The tenant who thinks he can live "rent free" and the landlord who thinks he can flout the law by making "unreasonable deductions" from monies that he is holding.Perhaps someone can tell me why Landlords and Tenants can't come to a compromise.A friend of mine issued a S21 NOTICE on the 15th of Febuary this year ending on the 13th May,the tenant refused to leave the property after the the court granted an order on the 4th Aug today he has been granted a baliff's warrent.Obviously that is a problem with the system.But yet another problem from information gained from the landlord of the local pub across the road the tenant moved out on the 21st August.So now my friend has lost out on rent,court cost's etc.Isn't it about time attitudes changed from both landlords and tenants + isn't it about time the law was changed to make it fairer on both parties.

Worldlife
20-09-2006, 23:18 PM
The problem of this forum pms is that we only read of the cases where landlord tenant relationships go wrong. We do not have eulogies from tenants in praise of good landlords (or vice versa) but there are many, many house let with satisfied landlords and tenants.

Agree with you absolutely that the law is too much biased in favour of the 'professional' tenant who is able to run rings round most landlords.

ATI
20-09-2006, 23:55 PM
I often read on this forum that either the tenant or the landlord have "ripped" each other off.My own opinion is that we now have two cultures the landlord and the tenant.The tenant who thinks he can live "rent free" and the landlord who thinks he can flout the law by making "unreasonable deductions" from monies that he is holding.Perhaps someone can tell me why Landlords and Tenants can't come to a compromise.A friend of mine issued a S21 NOTICE on the 15th of Febuary this year ending on the 13th May,the tenant refused to leave the property after the the court granted an order on the 4th Aug today he has been granted a baliff's warrent.Obviously that is a problem with the system.But yet another problem from information gained from the landlord of the local pub across the road the tenant moved out on the 21st August.So now my friend has lost out on rent,court cost's etc.Isn't it about time attitudes changed from both landlords and tenants + isn't it about time the law was changed to make it fairer on both parties.

This is exactly what i am going through right now with my Landlord. he is refusing to repair locks at the back (currently anyone can push the door and walk in). he has refused to install elecric and gas meters and also refuse to issue us with gas and electric certification and to add salt to injury he decided to break in. i called the Police and he has now been forced to stay away from the house . I have let the council to deal with him but he has failed to speak to them claiming he has nothing to do with the council consequently he has lost this month rent and I am not going to leave till he goes to court. and writing to him is a waste of time. he has not paid the mortgage since Match 2006 and he has not paid his builders who are taken to court since March . his house is going to be repossessed most probably next week and he is still driving a convertible Merk.
all he had to do was to comply with the law but he wanted to cheat so now he is going to pay for it big time.

a landlord i had once was excellent. you could talk to him and resolve any problem without a contract without direct debit. i used to put the cash in the flat and he used to come in and take it once a month and i never had any issue with him.

Ericthelobster
21-09-2006, 06:49 AM
a landlord i had once was excellent. you could talk to him and resolve any problem without a contract without direct debit. i used to put the cash in the flat and he used to come in and take it once a month and i never had any issue with him.An excellent landlord?? Hmm.

Worldlife
21-09-2006, 16:08 PM
<snip>a landlord i had once was excellent. you could talk to him and resolve any problem without a contract without direct debit. i used to put the cash in the flat and he used to come in and take it once a month and i never had any issue with him.

Eric I think ATI meant he could trust the landlord to enter his tenanted property and collect the rent when due! No doubt you have had working tenants who would like to offer the landlord freedom of access to save themselves the inconvenience of being in for contractors etc. i.e they would like a serviced flat!!

There can be a friendly arrangement that respects the tenant's right to privacy but does not exploit the landlord as a service contractor :D

A landlord should be cautious in accepting casual and too frequent invites by the tenant to visit in their absence but aim for friendly but businesslike relationships.