PDA

View Full Version : Workers trying to get access without prior permission

offenderuk
20-09-2006, 19:30 PM
We live in an apartment building which is having some work done. Some workers came to our door a couple of weeks back (on a weekend), unannounced & wanted to view the place regarding some work that is being done. We let them & they saw some stuff they thought might need doing.

Later I rang the agents that manage our property & ascertained that no work was needed.

Today the workers came, keys in hand, expecting to come in & do work. I said no that no work needed done & also nothing had been arranged with us.

This concerns me a lot as no prior arrangements had been made & had we not been home it looks like they would have had access without our consent.

Would this have been a breach of the law/tenant rights etc.? I want to make it clear to the managing company that they potentially could have infringed on our rights by giving the keys to the workers without our prior consent.

Worldlife
20-09-2006, 23:51 PM
<snip>Later I rang the agents that manage our property & ascertained that no work was needed.

Today the workers came, keys in hand, expecting to come in & do work. I said no that no work needed done & also nothing had been arranged with us.<snip>

Seems outragous that although no work was needed the agents have handed the keys to workman.

What does your AST state about the holding of the key by the agent? You should underline to the agent that in no circumstances do you expect him/her to hand out their key for workmen to enter your property without advance notice and your consent and that you should always be advised of the purpose of entry beforehand.

offenderuk
23-09-2006, 09:39 AM
It is outrageous. The AST doesn't seem to talk about the keys at all which is a pain. But I guess this doesn't mean that they can violate our rights, I presume that the protection of access is in the law somewhere....1985 Landlord act or suchlike?

Carl Henry
23-09-2006, 10:12 AM
They must give notice which will be in the basic terms of the AST under 'Landlord Access' which would include his agents.

Regards,

Carl Henry

Worldlife
23-09-2006, 20:14 PM
You are legally entitled to change the locks on a property of which you are a tenant provided you restore the original locks when you leave (or get the landlord to accept them and the keys as a replacement)

Maybe tell the agent this action will not be needed if adequate and proper notice is given to you concerning future visits, inspections or repair works and that the key must not be issued to workmen etc without your specific authority.

offenderuk
27-09-2006, 21:28 PM
Cheers for the replies! I am following this up with the letting agent & they're being reasonably helpful...though not as much as I would like.

ATI
27-09-2006, 21:42 PM
Hi

The wise thing to do is to make sure you make it clear that you do not wish anything done without you saying so. then find out what they are after and if it make sense then let them. making things right is not free and is not simple.
it is all to do with compromises but if you refuse to then you are not at WRONG.