PDA

View Full Version : Another Inventory question ....

pippay
20-09-2006, 19:00 PM
I have been rehoused by the LA - it's lovely - and permanent!! :D and have given notice on my previous rented flat ...

However, I have an unsigned copy of the inventory check in (the Agent also has an unsigned copy) which was fairly thorough (except for the lack of signatures!) and I want to leave the property in the same condition as it was when I moved in.

To this end, I have told the Agents that I will fill in the picture hook holes etc. and touch up the paint accordingly, (the "usual" magnolia but has anyone any idea how many various shades of magnolia there are ?????? ) and it will be left as I found it.

However, they are expecting me to have the carpets professionally cleaned. They had not been cleaned when I moved in and one carpet was damaged by the previous tenant with an iron, which was noted on the check in, on both copies, so obviously they weren't new carpets either !!!

Am I responsible for cleaning the carpets, when all there has been is general use and wear and tear ? (Nothing is stated in the AST about this either )

I think not but would appreciate clarification on this as I want to do the right thing but don't want to have the proverbial taken out of me .......

Poppy
21-09-2006, 09:23 AM
Considering that the carpet was apparently damaged before your tenure, what has your landlord indicated that s/he will accept?

I do not think that it is unreasonable to clean the carpets in the same way you would clean the kitchen at the end of a tenancy. Any reasonable landlord would accept carpets cleaned to a high standard whether done by the tenant or if the tenant chose to call in a professional company. What is unreasonable is to insist that it is professionally cleaned.

Are you able to clean the carpets yourself?

Glad that the local authority have now rehoused you. Thank goodness that there are still some decent social housing available. I wait to be abused...

MrShed
21-09-2006, 10:43 AM
If the inventory hasn't been signed, then they can't charge you for it anyway. But, they cannot force you to get them professionally cleaned, but(if the inventory had been valid) you would have to leave them in the same clean condition as when you moved in. Dust and dirt isn't fair wear and tear.

pippay
21-09-2006, 11:57 AM
Well obviously I would be vacuuming them, and there hasn't been any spills or anything.

I don't understand your statement that dust and dirt isn't fair wear and tear.. What would consitute fair wear and tear then? - carpets have to be walked on an that in itself creates deep down dirt that can only be got rid of by cleaning ... is that not fair wear and tear? :confused:

If the inventory hasn't been signed, then they can't charge you for it anyway. But, they cannot force you to get them professionally cleaned, but(if the inventory had been valid) you would have to leave them in the same clean condition as when you moved in. Dust and dirt isn't fair wear and tear.

MrShed
21-09-2006, 12:01 PM
Well obviously I would be vacuuming them, and there hasn't been any spills or anything.

I don't understand your statement that dust and dirt isn't fair wear and tear.. What would consitute fair wear and tear then? - carpets have to be walked on an that in itself creates deep down dirt that can only be got rid of by cleaning ... is that not fair wear and tear? :confused:

Nope....fair wear and tear is actual wear to the physcial state of the carpets. Dirt is just that - dirt.

pippay
21-09-2006, 12:07 PM
Thanks Poppy .. my replies as follows

Considering that the carpet was apparently damaged before your tenure, what has your landlord indicated that s/he will accept?
I'm going through the agent as the LL is always away and it is them that are doing the check out and insisting on having it professionally cleaned

I do not think that it is unreasonable to clean the carpets in the same way you would clean the kitchen at the end of a tenancy. I've already had the rest of the place cleaned thoroughly and the kitchen and bathroom sanitised with hospital grade materials Any reasonable landlord would accept carpets cleaned to a high standard whether done by the tenant or if the tenant chose to call in a professional company. What is unreasonable is to insist that it is professionally cleaned.

I'm just confused as to why I have to have them cleaned at all when I took the place over they hadn't been cleaned ... They have already been vacuumed thoroughly and will be again bbefore the check out.

Are you able to clean the carpets yourself? Not really .. I'm pretty weak most of the time .. Glad that the local authority have now rehoused you. Thank goodness that there are still some decent social housing available. I wait to be abused... I couldn't have got my place as quickly as I did without help from Shelter. My reason for needing social housing was on health grounds and I can't fault either the LA or the Housing Association. I even got a brand new kitchen installed before I moved in !!!