PDA

View Full Version : Do you need signed inventory for an unfurnished property?

sti5brigade
19-09-2006, 18:02 PM
I rented a place with only kitchen utilities (washer/dryer, cooker, fridge and freezer) which had no real value to me

I'm wondering how far an inventory would go

If the tenants damage walls, doors, carpets of an unfurnished property do you have grounds for with-holding deposit without an inventory on an unfurnsihed property?

I guess what I'm asking is - is there any legal difference in having a signed inventory between for a furnished versus unfurnished property?

I stated above that I dont care about the actual goods - its more the state of the house and gardens that I'm concerned about

Ericthelobster
19-09-2006, 18:55 PM
If the tenants damage walls, doors, carpets of an unfurnished property do you have grounds for with-holding deposit without an inventory on an unfurnsihed property?No, that's why you should do an inventory

I guess what I'm asking is - is there any legal difference in having a signed inventory between for a furnished versus unfurnished property?None at all that I can see.

I stated above that I dont care about the actual goods - its more the state of the house and gardens that I'm concerned aboutWhat about the replacement cost of all the white goods and carpets when the tenants trash or steal them?

sti5brigade
19-09-2006, 19:22 PM
Interesting as for the inventories that I have signed before (when being a tenant) they've never gone into any significant level of detail , e.g. not to the extent of the state of walls, doors condition, etc

Re replacement cost of white goods - I simply would then rent the property completely unfurnished. Carpets is a good point

Surrey
20-09-2006, 08:33 AM
Interesting as for the inventories that I have signed before (when being a tenant) they've never gone into any significant level of detail , e.g. not to the extent of the state of walls, doors condition, etc

Re replacement cost of white goods - I simply would then rent the property completely unfurnished. Carpets is a good point

Just had an inventory done on an unfurnished, newly repainted unfurnished 4-bed house. Covered FORTY-FIVE PAGES!!! Very detailed inventory even noting where there had been screwholes in walls that had been repaired but could still be just about seen under the paint.
That way, if the tenants leave and the walls are covered in dirty marks I'll be able to recoup the cost of either cleaning or touching up the paint. I know it costs to have one done, but it's for the benefit of both tenants and landlords. It is also suggested that the cost of checking in is borne by one, while cost of checking out is borne by the other so that both parties who benefit from the detailed inventory have to pay for it.

sti5brigade
20-09-2006, 12:01 PM
Crikey - 45 pages
I'm learning how things should be done properly for the future at least.
With all the horror storie (including very bad personal experiences) I'm kind of thinking that I may just decide to pay my mortgage down rather than buy any properties for rent!!