PDA

View Full Version : Tennat has flooded house due to cold weather and not using the heating.

MisterMoleyMole
04-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Hi all,

Title says it all really.

Ive managed to fix the leak but the downstairs is soaking. Carpet and laminate flooring are ruined.

Unfortunatly i have just found out that the carpet which is the majority of the downstairs is not covered under my building insurance as it comes under contants?

Where do i stand here? What should i be doing with ragards to replacing? Should this come under tenants contents insurance?

If not can i take this out of tenants deposit if/when they leave?

Many thanks

jeffrey
04-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Are you L? Do you reside there too? What sort of Letting Agreement does T have?

MisterMoleyMole
04-01-2011, 11:23 AM
I am L,
No i dont reside there,
6months letting agreement which then rolls. But T is only 2 months in to start of contract. This was set up by my local estate agents for a finders fee but is managed by myself.

jeffrey
04-01-2011, 11:31 AM
Did the leak occur because:
a. you failed to comply with your inescapable duties under s.11 of LTA 1985; or
b. T broke an obligation in the Letting Agreement?

MisterMoleyMole
04-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Eerm .. not sure. Sorry new to this.

Basically what has happend is the T has started renting the property beginning of Nov but due to problems has not actually fully moved in yet so the heating was left off for most of the bad freeze. Then when things have thored out a pipe has sprung a leak under the sink downstairs.

Does that help?

MisterMoleyMole
04-01-2011, 12:17 PM
Please don't leave me Jeffery :)

Do you need anymore info from me?

Many thanks

jeffrey
04-01-2011, 12:52 PM
T has not moved-in; but is there an explicit clause in the Letting Agreement re T's duty to heat?

jeffrey
04-01-2011, 12:52 PM
Please don't leave me Jeffery
Who's that, then?

MisterMoleyMole
04-01-2011, 14:11 PM
Ahh not sure is this a normality or is it something i would have had to specify myself when the estate agents were creating the contract?

I'm at work at the moment, so havent got access to the agreement.

Cheers