PDA

View Full Version : No Inventory

Dean
13-09-2006, 10:52 AM
Unfortunately I have made the mistake of renting a furnished property without filling out an inventory on the move in date (foolish I know). The tenant is due to move out in a weeks time. What do I need to do on the move out day to lessen the possibility of me having to pay for any damages incurred? Whilst showing prospective tennants around I have already noticed that a window has been smashed & that one of the sofa's has several burn marks. Unfortunately I am fully expecting this to turn into a "your word against mine" scenario.

Any advice as to best approach would be much appreciated.

Regards

Dean

Poppy
13-09-2006, 10:59 AM
Thank you for your honesty.

If your tenants are decent, perhaps you can get them to agree in writing to deduct a fixed amount from the deposit to cover the broken window and burns.

If they are not decent then you will have to return their deposit in full and swallow the costs and put it down to experience.

What lessons learned can you apply to future tenants?

Dean
13-09-2006, 11:24 AM
Would I be right in therefore assuming that if the current tenants decided to walk off with the majority of the furnishings and deny that they were ever there to begin with that this would be something that I would have to cover the cost for?

Regards

Dean

Poppy
13-09-2006, 11:35 AM
Well firstly I would call the Police. But yes they can still argue that the place was unfurnished. Only a judge could decide if the furniture existed in the first place.

I live by the CYA principle - cover your arse. Write accurate inventories for all future tenancies and ensure they are dated and signed by the incoming tenants on the day they move in.

Ericthelobster
13-09-2006, 19:28 PM
You may be lucky in that the tenants might not be fully aware of the significance of having no inventory, in which case you may be able to charge them for the damage they've caused as if there had been an inventory in place. If they knew they were responsible for the damage they'd need to be pretty cheeky to take you to court to get the deposit money refunded; nevertheless if they are 'professional' tenants they may be well aware that you'd have no leg to stand on if it got to court.