PDA

View Full Version : Electricity meters

Denise
12-09-2006, 19:20 PM
Hi,

This is the first time I've used this forum - so hello everyone!:)

I own a couple of flats housed in one building. The upstairs flat currently has a mains supply gas and a pre-pay card meter for electricity.

I recently let to a new tenant who wants to change the pre-pay meter to a mains meter.

Although I am loath to allow a tenant to complete such a job, I would quite like the meter to be a mains one (cards put people off) and I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth!

What documentation is required for such a change? Who has to do the work? Could someone point me in the right direction to start a bit of research?

Thanks
Denise

Ericthelobster
12-09-2006, 21:15 PM
I recently let to a new tenant who wants to change the pre-pay meter to a mains meter.

Although I am loath to allow a tenant to complete such a job, I would quite like the meter to be a mains one (cards put people off) and I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth!

What documentation is required for such a change? Who has to do the work?None whatsoever. The bill payer merely contacts their electricity provider and it will be organised - no cost to tenant or you.

Card meters are invariably fitted by the electric co after the bill payer has demonstrated they can't pay their bills in arrears - these days they aren't allowed simply to cut people off willy-nilly.

Surrey
12-09-2006, 21:25 PM
None whatsoever. The bill payer merely contacts their electricity provider and it will be organised - no cost to tenant or you.

Card meters are invariably fitted by the electric co after the bill payer has demonstrated they can't pay their bills in arrears - these days they aren't allowed simply to cut people off willy-nilly.

But Eric, the change requested is to REMOVE a card meter, not INSTALL one.

Denise, I suggest you speak to your supplier and find out what they charge. It might be nothing at all or there might be a small fee. Look at your tenancy agreement, you might find that there's a clause in there saying if a tenant wants to change things it's at their cost. Question to experts: would that be an unfair term? I wouldn't have thought so but I'm not an expert!

pippay
12-09-2006, 21:35 PM
When I moved into my rented property last year there was a pre-paid card meter for electricity and I wanted a credit meter (monthly or quarterly biilibg).

I merely phoned he electrticity company and the following week they came round, removed the pre=paid and installed the credit meter .. all at absolutely no cost to myself or the LL.

The danger with pre-paids, especially where it is a rented property, is that there may be a previous tenants' debt on there that the meter is collecting and the new tenant ends up paying an extortionate rate to cover the debt without realising it ...

ATI
12-09-2006, 21:37 PM
To change a card metre is very simple
you call the company and ask them to make you an appoitment . they need to credit check you first or if you are a Landlord it 'll be ok then . it takes a week or so. i had one done few years back in about a week. no pappers needed.
if you want a metre installed ie a new one alongside another then there is a charge and only a landlord can do that.

harvey
13-09-2006, 12:36 PM
Just had it done myself (Monday - SEB). The previous tenant left owing all sorts of people money one of which was electricity. So they put in a "coin" meter. This has caused my some problems whilst waiting for SEB to turn up to change it due to the debt on the meter. We needed to clean etc. and had to keep topping up the key, part of which went to the tennats debt. Cost me nothing to change once they had checked that who I was.

Denise
13-09-2006, 19:16 PM
Oh right --thanks everyone. That seems straightforward.

I will check if there's any charge, but the tenant seems happy to meet that anyway.

Thanks again
Denise