PDA

View Full Version : LL giving hard time

ajm
07-09-2006, 21:41 PM
Around six months ago, we requested some work to be done on a properrty we rent from a LL and were promised that something would be done. They arranged for a inspection and 6 weeks later phoned that soem work will be done. It was short notice, however we agreed.
A couple of days after that, the LL contractors phoned /informed us less than 24 hours that they wish to start work on other areas of the house. We stated that its very short notice and to arrange a time when someone would be at the flat.
The LL saw this as obstruction on our part and refused to do any more work and stated that we are to be responsible for any damages.
We tried to reason with the LL, but they woudl not budge. At the same time a appliance was broken down and we requested the LL to repair/replace. They refused to do that as they said we were uncooperative.
we seeked advise from a solicitor and the solicitors wrote a potile letter to the LL stating the facts and that we wish to resolve this in a amicable matter. The LL have failed to respond to the solicitors letters and just only now have told my solicitors that they, the LL, have passed the matter the to their solicitors.
It has been more than 3 months since no work was done on the property, leaving some areas open to outside elements. We have had no joy in getting the applianace replaced, and also the funiture has completelly worn out.
Short of stopping the rent, what options have I got to make the LL do teh work and honour their part of the contract and compensate for the last 3 months of not fully enjoyiong the stay in the property and incurring expenses.

pippay
07-09-2006, 22:11 PM
Have you posted before because this sounds extremely familiar but I can't find the thread under your current ID ..

From what you've described here it sounds very much like any positive communication has completely broken down between you and your LL and unless there is compromise I can't see the situation resolving itself easily.

IMHO if the property was in as bad a condition as you infer it is, then I personally would have welcomed any visit to remedy those problems even if I had to change my arrangements to make sure I, or someone else, was there to let them in.

I've made a few notes in red in your quote that I'm curious about ...

Around six months ago, we requested some workwhat sort of work? to be done on a property we rent from a LL and were promised that something would be done. They arranged for a inspection and 6 weeks later phoned that some work will be done. That seems a reasonable time scale for a busy sub-contractor especially if they had to order parts ... It was short notice, obviously they were trying to fit you in as soon as they could, possibly when they had a cancellation or delay or another job, so I can't see what the problem is however we agreed.
A couple of days after that, a couple of days after what? the LL contractors phoned /informed us less than 24 hours that they wish to start work on other areas of the house. We stated that its very short notice and to arrange a time when someone would be at the flat.
The LL saw this as obstruction on our part and refused to do any more work and stated that we are to be responsible for any damages.
We tried to reason with the LL, but they would not budge. At the same time a appliance was broken down and we requested the LL to repair/replace. What sort of appliance? They refused to do that as they said we were uncooperative.
we seeked advise from a solicitor and the solicitors wrote a potile letter to the LL stating the facts and that we wish to resolve this in a amicable matter. The LL have failed to respond to the solicitors letters and just only now have told my solicitors that they, the LL, have passed the matter the to their solicitors. Quite a normal response actually .. each side using a solicitor seems fair even if it is only to arbitrate but usually a solicitors letter is less to arbitrate and more to imply a threat of court action. If you instructed a solicitor first you can hardly complain if they use one to reply !!!!
It has been more than 3 months since no work was done on the property, leaving some areas open to outside elements. What and how We have had no joy in getting the applianace replaced, and also the funiture has completelly worn out. How on earth can furniture become "worn out" in the space of 3/6 months ?????????
Short of stopping the rent, what options have I got to make the LL do teh work and honour their part of the contract and compensate for the last 3 months of not fully enjoyiong the stay in the property and incurring expenses.has your solicitor not advised you of your next course of action?

RichieP
08-09-2006, 09:18 AM
Following pippay's ticking off....

Write to your landlord and tell request they carry out the work you have identified. Tell them that if they take no action within 14 days, you will get 3 written quotes and get the work done. Tell them you will subtract the cost of the work from your next rent payment.

If they don't respond, get the three written quotes and get the cheapest in to do the work.

Send a copy of the receipt to your landlord and deduct the money from your next payment.

Unfortunately your ladlord is likely to evict yu at the end of your current fixed term, but at least you may be able to find a property in better condition with a better landlord.

pippay
08-09-2006, 10:14 AM
If this is the poster I think it is, its not entirely the LL's fault. The OP was, on his own admission, being very unreasonable about allowing access to the property to carry out the necessary works, wanting timed arrivals etc which we all know just doesn't happen with tradesmen.

If you read his current query it's actually what can he do to make the LL carry out the works WITHOUT stopping the rent .. unless he wants to take the LL to court ( and I am certain any action will be vehemently defended) there is no other way.

I agree wholeheartedly that this LL is likely to evict the tenant whatever happens.

There are always three sides to a story - each party's version and the truth, which is usually somewhere in between.

JimBeam
08-09-2006, 11:10 AM
I agree with Pippay all the details in the post seemd very familiar to one I have read before, I immediately thought this is the same poster looking for a different reply.

pms
08-09-2006, 12:04 PM
http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=18314#post18314

Sounds a bit like this one;)

JimBeam
08-09-2006, 13:26 PM
That's the one.:)