PDA

View Full Version : Periodic - how long?

Bytor
07-09-2006, 20:25 PM
I need some clarification on the periodic status.

I have a couple of flats which were signed with tennants on an assured short term agreement for 6 months. This expired and now both are in periodic, which I understand to mean that the contract continues indefinately with the same clauses as on the ast.

My question is on how long I should let this state continue

Is there any danger from the landlords perspective, where the tennant could claim extra rights as a long term tennant? If so then after how long does this happen.

I am not having any problems with my tennants, but want to understand what the future could hold. In fact both tennants are ideal and it ssuits me tha they stay.

Thanks in advance

Paul_f
07-09-2006, 21:15 PM
I would be rather worried if I were in your shoes. Not because you have done anything wrong - you haven't; it's just that if you don't know what happens after the fixed term ends and you are asking for advice over a fairly basic matter then you appear to be well out of your depth.

You don't need to do anything about your tenancy agreement as it can continue on a periodic tenancy indefinitely.

Bytor
08-09-2006, 06:00 AM
Thanks Paul f your holiness

I thought that one of the points of these forums was so that inexperienced landlords could post threads to take advantage of the experience out their...not for so called experts to start throwing around slurs...

If you read the thread properly, my main question is about long term tennants and their rights. My understanding about periodic could do with some clarification but not at the cost of you pointing out the obvious.

lawstudent
08-09-2006, 08:10 AM
Bytor - worry not: however long your tenants remain in place they acquire no additional rights :)

Bytor
08-09-2006, 18:43 PM
Thanks Law Student