PDA

View Full Version : Scottish landlord- advice re tenant's damage/dirt

EH11
07-09-2006, 07:59 AM
Any advice gratefuly appreciated on the below -

1) My tenant moves out at the end of the tenancy agreement. If there is any damage to items with nominal value (like cups, plates etc) how do I arrive at a cost including depreciation etc?

2) If the oven is filthy can I charge them to get this cleaned professionally and do I need to provide receipts for all purchases/costs?

3) With new tenants, am I responsible for providing replacements for all the items listed in the inventory. For example, if the washine machine of television breaks do i have to get it fixed or provide a similar replacement? Or, can I put a clause in the lease stating that the tenant is responsible for the up-keep and repair of such items?

4) Finally, I have read a little about S21 forms recently on the forum. Does this legislation apply in Scotland/is there an equivelant? Briefly and to someone new to this business, what is this for and should I be using it?

Once again, thanks to those who provide any advice on the above.

MrShed
07-09-2006, 14:50 PM
Any advice gratefuly appreciated on the below -

1) My tenant moves out at the end of the tenancy agreement. If there is any damage to items with nominal value (like cups, plates etc) how do I arrive at a cost including depreciation etc?

You would technically charge what you would pay for a second hand item of the same age.

2) If the oven is filthy can I charge them to get this cleaned professionally and do I need to provide receipts for all purchases/costs?

Yes and yes, as long as the oven was clean when they moved in and you have documentary evidence to support this.

3) With new tenants, am I responsible for providing replacements for all the items listed in the inventory. For example, if the washine machine of television breaks do i have to get it fixed or provide a similar replacement? Or, can I put a clause in the lease stating that the tenant is responsible for the up-keep and repair of such items?

You must fix or replace...you cannot pass this responsibility onto the tenant.

4) Finally, I have read a little about S21 forms recently on the forum. Does this legislation apply in Scotland/is there an equivelant? Briefly and to someone new to this business, what is this for and should I be using it?

Once again, thanks to those who provide any advice on the above.

Don't know about 4 I'm afraid, regarding the Scotland thing, but I assume it is the same. You will have to use a S21 form at some point, it is used to evict tenants. But there is more than enough information already on the forum about them.