PDA

View Full Version : 6month Inspections

rainbowcuddles
04-09-2006, 13:32 PM
The landlord of the properties I manage wishes to start doing 6monthly inspections to his properties.

However not doing this before is it just a sort of mini-inspection?

Same as a move-in inspection just half way through the tenancy?

Is there other things I need to do?

Am I just checking that the tenants aren't wrecking the place and if they have any questions then they can sort it out then?

Thanks for your help

P.Pilcher
04-09-2006, 14:05 PM
I don't know what others do, but I regard any inspections I carry out during the term of a tenancy mainly to check for maintenance work that a tenant would not necessarily report. Blocked gutters, loose tiles and flashing, dripping taps e.t.c. After all the property is the tenant's home and the way they live their life is their business. To be fair, my tenants are carefully, professionally selected and I wouldn't expect to find them living in a "pig sty". If they were, I may well consider serving an S21 notice as these are not the type of tenants that I want. I normally find my properties to be reasonably clean and tidy and I do my best to make it as pleasurable an experience as I can for my tenant. Comments like "Heavens, with a place in this state I don't know why I bother with landlord's inspections." Or, on visiting to carry out a minor repair, I usually say on entering a clean and tidy living room "Well that's the landlord's inspection over with, now, where is this ***** you want me to fix?"

P.P.

EH11
05-09-2006, 07:37 AM
To be fair, my tenants are carefully, professionally selected

P.P.[/QUOTE]

I'm in the process of letting my property and am interested to know what checks people carry out prior to agreeing a let with a tenant? Previously, I only asked for a reference from the propsective tenant's employer. Should I be looking for more information?

Any advice or ideas that have worked for people on this forum?

rainbowcuddles
05-09-2006, 07:40 AM
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it.
Most properties I hardly hear from so Im not expecting to find alot wrong. I get the odd property who ring up every five minutes to report everything and anything that is wrong...even reports against their neighbours properties!! :D

Ericthelobster
05-09-2006, 09:54 AM
I'm in the process of letting my property and am interested to know what checks people carry out prior to agreeing a let with a tenant? Previously, I only asked for a reference from the propsective tenant's employer. Should I be looking for more information?Absolutely. ID checks - are they who they say they are? Credit check - plenty of companies who can do this service. Reference from previous landlords - not just the current one who may be economical with the truth to get rid of an iffy tenant. And check that all references are genuine (did applicant provide you with his mate's contact details in place of employer/landlord etc)?