PDA

View Full Version : Urgent - Gas Inspection - Access Rights

katherine
02-09-2006, 15:32 PM
I hope someone can help me with this problem.

I have a gas safety check due on Tuesday.

I have arranged for an inspection but when we rang the tenants they refused permission for me to give the Gas man the keys stating that they prefer to be in. (they allowed us to do this last year)

They have asked me to get the gas man to ring with a time even though they said they would be in all day.

The gas man will only state am or pm.

I have a feeling that they will be awkward and not answer the door when the gas man calls due to other ongoing issues I have with them.
(They have asked if they can move another tenant in and I have said no)

If the gas man does not gain admission on Tuesday I will not have a current certificate.

What can I do to protect myself against prosecution in this situation?

Thanks for any help

welshgold
02-09-2006, 17:34 PM
i have been in same situation with tenant saying gas inspector must give them a weeks notice as to actual time, but i find it impossible to get a time, if you have got a definate day off corgi man you are doing well. but with most trades people its very hard to pin them to certain time but tenants dont realise that and think they are only customer and should be attended to only at their convenience.Also they assume that if something goes wrong and needs professional attention, i can somehow wave a magic wand and get the tradesperson there immediatly be it day or night.

as to What can I do to protect myself against prosecution in this situation

just keep all details to show you have made every effort to get inspection done

MrShed
02-09-2006, 19:44 PM
You will basically need to show due diligence. This means that you have done everything reasonably possible to stay within the law.

paul_c
04-09-2006, 13:04 PM
Our gas check is done by British Gas as part of their Homecare. They write to us with a date and I forward this on to the tenant saying that if the date is not convenient and if they want to be there they need to arrange directly with British Gas. Its always worked fine for us and saves us making arrangements for the visit that dont suit the tenant.

Can you ask the tenant to liaise directly, telling them that its a legal requirement?