PDA

View Full Version : Utility companies

sean
02-09-2006, 12:45 PM
Hi everyone, forgive me if the answer to this question is really obvious but I have just moved into my first flat where the landlord pays the ground rent, he has gone abroad for a couple of months so I can't ask him myself, how do I find out who provides the electricity for the flat or can I choose myself? Is it shared between the other 5 flats or do I just pay for my own flat? Also, do I have to pay the water bill or is this included in the ground rent paid by the landlord?

Many thanks for any advice

P.Pilcher
02-09-2006, 15:43 PM
No, it is not obvious and your landlord should have made it perfectly clear to you how utility bills were to be paid before you signed the tenancy agreement. Did you ask at the time? It may be that your rent includes the cost of utilities which is possible, however if each flat has a separate meter then I expect you will be charged, so you would do well to make provision for a bill from your landlord in due course. Post back here for further advice from someone if, when you get your bill, you consider you are being ripped off.

P.P.

sean
02-09-2006, 16:48 PM
Thanks for your reply. The landlord told me that I would not have to pay ground rent as he would pay that, I assumed that was just for maintenance of the main building and gardens etc, he didn't say whether that included water. He told me the rent is exclusive of bills (meaning electricity and council tax - the flat doesn't have gas) he just wasn't sure who the electricity supplier was because the flat/building is brand new. The flat has its own separate meter though which is in the main entrance hall along with all the meters for the other flats. So I'm not sure what to do - can I just ring up someone like powergen and open a new account with them?

Ericthelobster
02-09-2006, 17:53 PM
No first you need to find out which electric company is currently supplying you (and there will be one). Somewhere there is a phone number which you can dial and enter your address via a clever voice recognition system, and it tells you who the current supplier is. Can't remember the number but I expect if you phone one of the electric co's they'll be able to help you.

I have no doubt you'll find the water isn't included in your rent - it's quite distinct from ground rent.

sean
02-09-2006, 17:59 PM
Thank you so much that's really useful info - does anyone know the number for the service eric has mentioned?

P.Pilcher
02-09-2006, 20:20 PM
Yes as I have just posted above it is MPAN 0845 6030618

P.P.