PDA

View Full Version : Bond deductions

saltstein
30-08-2006, 22:37 PM
I would really appreciate some advice on the following:

I let a property to six students all having individual tenancy agreements. When they moved out, the house was a tip, namely the communal areas: Living room, bathroom, kitchen etc. The tenants persuaded me to allow them four extra days after the agreement to clean, but still the house was a mess; rubbish bags emptied all over the floor. Now surprise surprise, the tenants want their bonds back; each of them claiming that they did not cause the mess in the communal areas. Although I feel I should give them something back, I don’t believe they should get their entire bond back. It took me and two other members of the family seven half days to get the house back to a habitable state. I have some questions:

Can I charge them for our family having to clean the place, and if so what is a fair hourly rate per person cleaning? (Seen this question on here before but cannot find it on a search)

I have not received the keys back from three of the tenants, what is a fair price to deduct; the keys are a part of a suite of registered keys

Can I charge rent to one of them that blatantly lived there an extra week after the tenancy agreement had expired?

Thanks in advance,

Saltstein

RichieP
31-08-2006, 07:46 AM
1. Can I charge them for our family having to clean the place, and if so what is a fair hourly rate per person cleaning? (Seen this question on here before but cannot find it on a search)
I think it's £9.50 per hour.

2. I have not received the keys back from three of the tenants, what is a fair price to deduct; the keys are a part of a suite of registered keys
Tell them you'll charge them for the cost of replacement, unless they return them.

3. Can I charge rent to one of them that blatantly lived there an extra week after the tenancy agreement had expired?
If you can prove it, yes.

If they are all denying responsibility for the mess, split the cost between them equally.