PDA

View Full Version : choice of tenant

Mrraybarton
27-08-2006, 09:39 AM
Bearing in mind that it is illegal to refuse a tenancy on the grounds of race with which I have no problem.how am I able to refuse tenancy to eastern eurpean temporary workers ( not because of race) but because I am reliably informed from neighbours that many of these are dissapearing leaving unpaid bills and no forwarding address,

pippay
27-08-2006, 09:43 AM
Perhaps because they are only temporary workers and not in permanent employment?? Or perhaps you would prefer a family unit rather than a group - or because their referencing didn't dome up to your exacting standards .. insist on guarantors maybe ...

Poppy
27-08-2006, 11:43 AM
Maybe there is no reason to refuse them. Have you considered issuing an AST for a maximum of six months and obtaining six months' rent in advance and obtaining six weeks' rent for a deposit? This is not an uncommon practice whether the tenant is British or otherwise.

As for the unpaid bills - that's nothing to do with you. That's a matter for the relevant companies and the tenant.

This is a business. Who are these "reliable" neighbours? Are they landlords? What do they actually know?

P.Pilcher
27-08-2006, 22:37 PM
Although refusing a tenant on the basis of race may be illegal, I don't believe it is illegal to refuse a tenant on any other grounds, such as their employment status. When any of my agents contact me with details of a potential new tenant, said person's financial and employment status will have been thoroughly checked out and we reach a decision as to whether to accept. In the appropriate instances I understand the tenant is advised that he/she has been unsuccessful. No reason is stated, in the same way that reasons are rarely stated for refusing to offer an applicant a job.

P.P.

Paul_f
28-08-2006, 21:30 PM
If they can't understand the tenancy agreement then how can you expect to enforce covenants on them? You can't unless they provide you with an interpreter that they must pay for, so that is an easy one!

Ericthelobster
29-08-2006, 10:50 AM
If they can't understand the tenancy agreement then how can you expect to enforce covenants on them? You can't unless they provide you with an interpreter that they must pay for, so that is an easy one!

Bit tricky, I'd say, as you'd need to make an assessment of whether their English is adequate to understand the agreement. It's not going to be likely that they can't speak any at all, so it's a judgement call.

Also, it's been pointed out here before that foreign tenants may have a tendency to understand an AST perfectly, until such time as something goes wrong, when they lose all ability to speak and understand English and the finger is pointed at the unscrupulous LL who signed them up without ensuring they understood the contract.

Actually I was under the impression that it was the LL who had to provide the interpreter under such circumstances, or provide a translated AST, to avoid falling foul of the Race Relations police... glad to hear that's not the case as this whole issue has been worrying me a bit.