PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Neighbours

stephwa
18-10-2010, 10:58 AM
We have some rather noisy neighbours in the flat upstairs. The main problem of the noise is their toddler, screaming, banging on the floor and generally being loud.

We have complained three times in the last 4 weeks about this, we have only taken into account any disturbances after 11pm on a weeknight (except friday) and one complaint we had was 8.30 Saturday morning, although we do experience their noise at most other times when we are indoors but feel that we should put up with this apart from the late weeknights and early weekend mornings.

The first time we spoke to them they were very apologetic and promised to keep the noise down, which they did, it stopped immediately.
The second time i personally spoke to them and politely asked if they could keep the noise down as it was early weekend morning and their child was being quite loud, they said sorry but blamed it on the child, but the noise didnt stop and i stayed awake as a result.
The most recent incident was last night at roughly 11.40 - 12am where my OH asked them to keep it down a bit as the child was again screeching and they both were being rather loud, considering my partner leaves for work at 7.30am i felt he wasnt out of line. They said "you need to understand we have a child", which leads me to question why isnt said child in bed at 12am?

Are we being out of line? I obviously dont want things to turn nasty but i dont want to be kept up at night because they are unable to control their 2/3 year old? What advice would you give in this situation? Thanks

jeffrey
18-10-2010, 10:59 AM
Are you a long-leaseholder or a short-term-letting tenant?

stephwa
18-10-2010, 11:24 AM
currently in 6 months contractas a tennant, but has option to extend, which we wouldnt if they continue to be noisy.

The people who live above them had warned us about their noisy behaviour, however they seem to have lost patience with them and bang their feet on the floor which goes through to their ceiling.

Interlaken
18-10-2010, 11:38 AM
Unless they are due to move out I would consider moving yourself and tell your landlord why. Child is unlikely to change and neither are parents.

I have stopped letting to people with children in upstairs flats because of this problem especially where the flat is a conversion and inadequate sound proofing is what is blamed.

In a conversion I did last year where the sound proofing as stipulated by the building inspector cost me a fortune making a cavity between ceiling and floor of 600mm or 2 ft in old money filled with Rockwool + 4 layers of plaster board I and tenants can still hear the 7 year old upstairs ' just dancing' and elephantine mother stomping about.

stephwa
18-10-2010, 14:54 PM
haha "elephantine" mother.

Ok thanks for advice, they seem to be less and less concerned every time we raise this with them which is odd as you would think they be worried about upsetting the neighbours.

The previous tenant of my flat also left because of them upstairs.

thesaint
18-10-2010, 14:57 PM
The previous tenant of my flat also left because of them upstairs.

Who told you that?

stephwa
18-10-2010, 15:11 PM
Who told you that?

the people living above the noise makers, of course it could be false, i dont know why they would make it up though?

Trawler
18-10-2010, 16:11 PM
It doesnt soundlike they are doing anything too unreasonable, or at terribly antisocial hours - so I don't think there's much you can do. I'm pretty certain Env Health wouldn't do anything.

It could be worse - you could live under me - you'd be rudely awoken by my twins going mental at 5.30am...... or you could live under someone who chooses to play music at full belt with all their friends round until 4am every week.

storm
18-10-2010, 16:28 PM
Noise is becoming an increasing problem, I would consider moving out

Unfortunately the way a lot of houses are built is extremely bad here in the uk! I would talk to your landlord, he might be willing to sound proof the place. I can't see how he's going to let this place out anymore if he has this problem. As it's children you can't really involve authorities, it would need to be extreme and then you could start a legal action saying that the child's noise is making you feel unwell etc....
So either agree with the landlord to do some serious soundproofing (which would cost a lot of money) or just move out (which might be the simplier solution).

p_cas
18-10-2010, 17:09 PM
We have some rather noisy neighbours in the flat upstairs. The main problem of the noise is their toddler, screaming, banging on the floor and generally being loud.

We have complained three times in the last 4 weeks about this, we have only taken into account any disturbances after 11pm on a weeknight (except friday) and one complaint we had was 8.30 Saturday morning, although we do experience their noise at most other times when we are indoors but feel that we should put up with this apart from the late weeknights and early weekend mornings.

The first time we spoke to them they were very apologetic and promised to keep the noise down, which they did, it stopped immediately.
The second time i personally spoke to them and politely asked if they could keep the noise down as it was early weekend morning and their child was being quite loud, they said sorry but blamed it on the child, but the noise didnt stop and i stayed awake as a result.
The most recent incident was last night at roughly 11.40 - 12am where my OH asked them to keep it down a bit as the child was again screeching and they both were being rather loud, considering my partner leaves for work at 7.30am i felt he wasnt out of line. They said "you need to understand we have a child", which leads me to question why isnt said child in bed at 12am?

Are we being out of line? I obviously dont want things to turn nasty but i dont want to be kept up at night because they are unable to control their 2/3 year old? What advice would you give in this situation? Thanks

You obviously have no idea concerning children, do you? Young children cry during the night, no doubt you did too at that age. Parents obviously try and keep them quiet but there's not a lot you can do sometimes. And, just because the child is crying at 12am doesn't mean it hasn't gone to bed. It means it's woken up.

You could either be more understanding or you could move. In all honesty, it's probably not the parent's fault. I'd bet they don't want their toddler awake and screaming in the middle of the night either.

HairyLandlord
18-10-2010, 18:11 PM
You obviously have no idea concerning children, do you? Young children cry during the night, no doubt you did too at that age. Parents obviously try and keep them quiet but there's not a lot you can do sometimes. And, just because the child is crying at 12am doesn't mean it hasn't gone to bed. It means it's woken up.

In all honesty, it's probably not the parent's fault. I'd bet they don't want their toddler awake and screaming in the middle of the night either.

There's a difference between children who make consequential noise because they are ill or wake up because of a bad dream (crying, etc) and those who stomp on the floor and scream because they can and want to.
I think most people would know the difference between the two and so far, the OP has not been given any of the former reasons.

We have slowly slid into a world where there is less and less responsibility and discipline taken by parents who expect everyone to tolerate their failures regardless.

The above post and the true attitude of the parents of the child is an example of this nonsense.
If the OP replied with "You do understand we have to sleep, so we can keep our jobs, so we can live in a private home of our choosing and pursue the lifestyle of our choice", I am sure they would be given a narky look.
There's too many excuses given for bad behaviour in this "tolerate-everything" society and if you don't tolerate such things as what the OP has experienced, you are regarded as an intolerant fascist.
People often forget that children join the adults not the other way around.

If people can't handle other people, don't make them.

stephwa
18-10-2010, 19:28 PM
Well said...

stephwa
26-01-2011, 14:14 PM
Hello again,

As requested i have reposted this to the original thread...

We are still having problems with them, we still have to go upstairs about 12pm onwards and ask them to be quiet, they have also woken us at 4am - 5am recently which obviously annoyed us no end.

The problems are still the same, we cannot be inside the flat without the TV on, otherwise all we hear is their child screaming (not crying) stamping on the floor (our ceiling), shouting parents and generally just being really loud.

Now we have overlooked the general noise before 11pm, annoying as it is, we understand that they should be able to live their lives how they wish... however it bothers us when we are unable to sleep because of them... we have been and spoken to them politely on several occasions asking them to keep the noise down as we have to work and we need to sleep. However they just aren’t listening... i saw a template of a letter when i googled noisy neighbours which looked fair, but i wanted to get advice from other members as to what steps we can take after sending a friendly letter to them and their landlord asking them to keep it down and specifically what the causes of the disturbances are...

on the last thread it seemed to attract a member who i assume was a mother trying to defend another, however it wasn’t helpful and we are smart enough to distinguish between a child crying in the night from a bad dream/hurt themselves etc and a child that is just screaming because they can act like that and get away with it... Personally i think from a professional POV i think they need extra support, however that is another matter entirely...

Any advice re: the noise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

newlandlord2011
26-01-2011, 14:46 PM
Hi, I really sympathise with you and your situation.

I live next door to a family of 5 or 6 (2 adults - 3 or 4 children up to the ages of 14-15) that live in a 2-bed flat.

Over the years I have had to put up with all their children 'growing up'; crying at all hours of the day and night; early morning full blown kids TV (at 6am on a Saturday/Sunday morning after a long week at work, its sometimes more than I can bear) and now some of the children are getting older, there are lots of arguments between the older kids and younger kids.

I've always been very sympathetic towards them, i'm sure they'd rather live in a house with more than 2 bedrooms and I know that children make noise full stop! but I have to say that every now and then it drives me, literally, insane. When I cant get to sleep at 10pm or am still up at 11/12pm because their children are crying..well, it makes me a very grumpy person the next day.

Anyway, my point is you can speak to your local EHO. I have done so several times - more with regards to the TV blaring so loud that I can hear it in my apartment even with my own TV on. The EHO have asked them to try and keep that noise down and they have tried to do so. The other thing is that my EHO are looking to re-house them as they are clearly overcrowded. I am about to soundproof my flat before I let it out.

So, as others have said you do have a few options:
1. Speak to the EHO
2. Ask the landlord to look into soundproofing - it doesnt have to be ridiculously expensive (one of the members here directed me to a website with some information on DIY soundproofing which a good builder could organise for you)
3. If all else fails, move out at the end of your AST. If the previous tenants did move out due to the noise then the landlord will at some point have to invest in soundproofing. In the long run its more financially sensible (and I would imagine can be claimed on the tax allowance) than having tenants in every 6 months.

Good luck :)