PDA

View Full Version : Let only with agents!

rainbowcuddles
23-08-2006, 10:05 AM
Hi,

Last question I promise!!

Had a tenant move in via an estate agents in march, paid 6months up front and I havent heard from tenant since.. Ive been writing since July as to whether tenant wishes to renew contract...

Spoke to tenant today... Tenant has been away since July so obviously couldnt respond. She told me she was leaving September 1st. This is just voer one weeks notice?? She then informed me that she had replied to the letter from the agents in June stating she wouldnt renew???

Ive heard nothing form estate agents about this???

Is this right that they can write to tenant about renewing and then when she told them she wasn't renewing they didnt inform me??? Its not the tenants fault here, I now have 1week to market the property and get a tenant in?
Whos at fault here?

Jennifer_M
23-08-2006, 11:11 AM
Obviously your agent's at fault

rainbowcuddles
23-08-2006, 11:36 AM
Well I was thinking this but was unsure because I only signed up for a LET Only service. I didnt know if it was down to them to sort this out? Or at least inform me of the tenants intentions??

Thanks anyway Jennifer_M

Poppy
23-08-2006, 11:42 AM
You don't appear to have a problem at all!

The tenants paid six months' rent in advance. They're leaving on time - by the way they are within their rights to leave at the end of the six month tenancy without a single word to you. You need to learn about your tenants' rights.

You should only start to become concerned if they stay and don't pay rent. You have not reached that stage yet.

Just remain calm.

rainbowcuddles
23-08-2006, 13:44 PM
Don't the tenants have to give one months notice? Or is this just for periodic tenancies?

Seems strange to me? If the tenants dont have to give notice how would I know whether to market the property again? Wait for them to leave and then have a period where the property is empty?

I need to read up on this I think!! :confused:

P.Pilcher
23-08-2006, 15:32 PM
Well, it isn't strange as you have granted the tenant a tenancy for six months. The tenant has paid the agreed rent and at the end of the six months will move out. This is in accordance with the agreement. The tenant may or may not not have contacted the agent, but the agent is not involved as he was engaged on a let only basis. He was therefore entitled to ignore the letter if he did receive it. I am afraid that you will just have to grin and bear it and go and find another tenant.

P.P.

MrShed
23-08-2006, 16:31 PM
Don't the tenants have to give one months notice? Or is this just for periodic tenancies?

Seems strange to me? If the tenants dont have to give notice how would I know whether to market the property again? Wait for them to leave and then have a period where the property is empty?

I need to read up on this I think!! :confused:

The only time when a tenant does not need to give notice is at the conclusion of a fixed term. At all other times, a tenant would be required to give you notice.

johnjw
23-08-2006, 18:10 PM
The law does seem to be one-sided but of course it would usually be possible for the Landlord to ask the tenant(s) whether they intended to stay on after the fixed term.

P.Pilcher
23-08-2006, 22:08 PM
Which is precicely what I do approximately one month before my tenants' fixed terms expire as I invariably let them continue on a statutory periodic basis.

P.P.

Tassotti
24-08-2006, 07:18 AM
As a rule, in the fourth month, I will contact the tenant and ask them what their intentions are.

Keep it all friendly and they may let you show new prospective tenants round the place.

The agent is not at fault as it was a tenant find service only (they've done their bit)

You'll now know what to do for future lettings.

Good luck in finding a tenant

Tass

rainbowcuddles
24-08-2006, 07:59 AM
Thanks,

I did contact the tenant in the 4th month and tried numerous attempts in contacting her. Apparently she hasn't been living there and has only come back to the property this week after a long holiday.

This is against her contract of course but Im sure I will find a tenant soon.

Fingers Crossed! :D

dazalock
24-08-2006, 09:27 AM
Personally, on the very few occasions Ive used a let only service, Ive gone round to introduce myself to the new tenants and provide them with contact details and told them not to contact the agent as they are not responsible for the accommodation. Again, lessons learned I guess.

P.Pilcher
24-08-2006, 09:49 AM
I always use a let only service. Once the agent has found, credit and reference checked the tenant, interviewed same discussed it with me and I have decided to accept based on the agent's report, I then receive the tenant's contact details. I meet tenant at property who pays deposit and advanced rent as agreed and signs AST agreement (a copy of which has already been made available). Inventories are agreed, as are meter readings, then keys are handed over. Job done - oh except to pop around to the agent and hand over a cheque for the agreed fee.

It always seems to work for me.

P.P.

rainbowcuddles
24-08-2006, 10:36 AM
P.Pilcher that is exactly what I done. Met with tenants at the property signed the agreement etc.. Swapped details. Doesnt mean they will call you and notify you of their leaving!!

And my estate agent writes to them to see if they are renewing or not? I dont know why because they didnt even tell me??

If they were clever, surely they would have wrote to me and said "X Tenant is leaving at X date do you want us to find new tenants?"
A bit stupid if you ask me!

P.Pilcher
24-08-2006, 13:46 PM
Agreed.

P.P.