PDA

View Full Version : Toilet and cistern

magic.genie
23-08-2006, 09:21 AM
Hi everyone

am in the Middle East, there was a leak in my house at home, I have a letter from the agent saying they need to put a new toilet and cistern in at a cost of £400.68 inc VAT.

I wondered if anyone knew if this was an average price?

Hope to hear from you, kind regards
Alex

lawstudent
23-08-2006, 09:27 AM
This is not a bad price for a Carrara marble WC with gold fittings

Poppy
23-08-2006, 09:48 AM
Wow! That's what seems to happen when people think they can remotely run their business.

Out of interest, in your contract with the agent, does it specify a maximum figure for repairs above which the landlord has to be consulted? (Have I misunderstood? Has the work been carried out yet?)

pippay
23-08-2006, 09:58 AM
Tell me where I can get one :D !! A new bathroom suite was only £299.00 from B & Q although I don't know about fitting charges as we did ours ourselves! It does seem pricey. Get the Agent to get another couple of quotes to YOUR specification ...

This is not a bad price for a Carrara marble WC with gold fittings

justaboutsane
23-08-2006, 11:12 AM
HOW MUCH!!! When I moved into my partners house we had to repalce the Toilet pan and it cost around £30. We removed the old pan and fitted the new one ourselves, took about 1 hour and we are not plumbers! I think Toilets with cisterns are about £50 tops then you got about 2 hours labour max so say £50 an hour you are talking £150 all in! ... I expect the agent o factor his costs in too, I would want to see the Quote from the contractor and see who is ripping off who!

Jennifer_M
23-08-2006, 11:16 AM
Many agents have agreements with local tradesmen where if any work is required they'll call them for the work.

What the agent is gaining here is probably a nice commission (in percentages so the more is charged the more he gets).

magic.genie
23-08-2006, 11:26 AM
The agent has sent me the quote yeh, i've requested that any work above £50 they consult me. A colleague reckons you can get a toilet for aroun 80-100 sterling its the plumbers time that would be expensive, maybe 100-150 max for labour, I've mailed the agent to ask the extent of the 'leak' and request further quotes.

A

pippay
23-08-2006, 12:57 PM
To get an idea of the actual cost of the goods, check on line on the B & Q site and also Wickes site .. don't forget that a plumber will have a trade account and will get a reduction off the listed RRP price .. so the price you see on line should be the maximum you would be likley to pay .. and most plumbers have their own suppliers that are cheaper than the likes of B & Q etc ...

Worldlife
23-08-2006, 22:03 PM
Could ask the agent why the pan and cistern required replacing and a breakdown of the labour and parts cost for the work that was actually completed.

Mechanical parts to the cistern can be repaired. If the pan and cistern have been broken couldn't that be something that should be paid for by the tenant (it should be covered by the tenant's contents policy)

Tassotti
24-08-2006, 07:08 AM
Is it possible for you to arrange a plumber to go and take a look. Probably only take a couple of phone calls.

I know this is the agent's job, but it looks like they are ripping you off.

This leak may well be able to be repaired without the need for a whole new wc.

Tass

P.Pilcher
24-08-2006, 10:06 AM
About six months ago I had a similar problem with a similar (astronomical) cost. One of my long term tenants telephoned to state that her toilet pan had broken and flooded the whole bathroom. She had called out a plumber (one of those instant fix it at astronomical cost firms). As such a failure needed immediate repair there was very little I could do. The plumber arrived, looked and declared that it had been repaired before. He stated that he could do so again but it would invariably fail eventually. My tenant knows my attitude to such things, read my mind and instructed the plumber to replace the whole thing which he did within an hour or two. If it wasn't an emergency I could eventually have found a plumber who would have replaced same for much less, but this was the only toilet in the house and a rapid repair/replacement was called for. You pays your money and takes your choice. At least, on inspection, he did a good job.

P.P.

Midbloke
25-08-2006, 12:28 PM
I'm not sure which part of the Country your property is in but it can be almost impossible to get a plumber out to you for much less that £100. A decent WC and cistern could be £200 plus the fitting, feed pipes and soil pipes can need modifying if it is an old installation.

I would say you are paying the top price for the job just bordering on it being extortionate. This is exactly what you would expect if you are out of the Country and an agent is managing the job. They are hardly going to jump through hoops to get you the best price when you are in the Middle East are they?

m

lawstudent
25-08-2006, 14:29 PM
This is exactly what you would expect if you are out of the Country and an agent is managing the job. They are hardly going to jump through hoops to get you the best price when you are in the Middle East are they?
It makes no difference whether the LL is in Tooting or Timbuktou: some agents are real professionals who are interested in doing their best for their clients, wherever they are; others are selfish, lazy charlatans who don't give a hoot about their clients, wherever they are.

MrWoof
25-08-2006, 20:49 PM
It makes no difference whether the LL is in Tooting or Timbuktou: some agents are real professionals who are interested in doing their best for their clients, wherever they are; others are selfish, lazy charlatans who don't give a hoot about their clients, wherever they are.Agent I sacked two or three years ago quoted my brother in law £1600 for a repair, he lives many miles away. As I am local, he asked me to get quotes, we got a real professional in, job done with praise from the tenant for £700. Nuff said.

magic.genie
26-08-2006, 07:35 AM
Thanks ever so much everybody for taking the time to reply, it's very much appreciated.

I've managed to get in touch with a friend who has managed to get in touch with a plumber who estimates without looking around 200, he's gonna take a look next week, so that's great news.

AND just to add to my wallet worries, the other agent with my other house wants £850 for a new double glass patio doors with frame because the bloomin runners on the bottom of the door are all of a sudden nackered.

What are peoples experiences with Agents, do you just have to pay up and shut up?

I'm gonna email the other agent and ask why the pan and cistern required replacing.

regards
Alex