PDA

View Full Version : Tenant moving on - advice please

EH11
23-08-2006, 08:26 AM
A couple of months ago, I received good advice on here after a dispute with my tenant. They wanted the place decorated and carpeted despite being freshly decorated a year ago. They weren't happy when I declined and explained that I would pay towards decoration every 3 years or less if I could see the place was needing it. I heard nothing more on the subject.

At the beginning of the week, I received a text from the tenant saying that the tv had broken in the property, I replied immediately saying I would be in touch. A couple of hours later the tenant text me again saying that they were planning on moving out and were leaving when the current contract expires in 4 weeks.

I find the timing a bit strange that they would text me regarding a broken tv before intimating that they were going to move out. Is there any liability on their part for this?

Also, what is the situation with utility bills and council tax. I am going to take readings on the day they leave and get them to sign that they are accurate, are they responsible for contacting the utility companies and council to advise that they have moved on or is this my responsibility?

Finally, when do I release the deposit, can I hold it until I have confirmation that the aforementioned bills have been settled? Or do I release the deposit after checking that the condition of the flat and inventory are in order?

As a newcomer to this area, any help or advice is really appreciated.

Thanks

Jennifer_M
23-08-2006, 08:51 AM
A broken TV is hardly a reason to move house but who knows?
Anyhow they are going to move (some expert would have to confirm an SMS is considered proper notice or not) so to answer your questions:

Also, what is the situation with utility bills and council tax. I am going to take readings on the day they leave and get them to sign that they are accurate, are they responsible for contacting the utility companies and council to advise that they have moved on or is this my responsibility?
It is the tenants' responsibility to inform the utility companies as it's they who have a contract with them BUT some tenant not being that "organised" you can contact the utility companies to inform them that the tenants have moved out, here are the readings we took and here are the landlord's details. Tell them the property will be empty until a new tenant is in and you will inform them then.
As regards to council tax, do the same.

Finally, when do I release the deposit, can I hold it until I have confirmation that the aforementioned bills have been settled? Or do I release the deposit after checking that the condition of the flat and inventory are in order?
You aren't liable for the utility bills from your ex tenants so holding on to the deposit for this won't matter. If any utility company is chasing a payment, tell them the tenant has moved (I don't think you can give a forwarding address because of the Data Protection Act).
Take an address to send the deposit cheque to, check the property thoroughly, if any deduction needs to be made for damage keep the receipts and then send the remaining money back with a list of deductions and copy of receipts. Please allow for fair wear and tear.