PDA

View Full Version : renting to family member on DSS

twig55
22-08-2006, 15:30 PM
Hi can anybody help,i'm in the process of moving house and wish to rent out my current property,can i rent to my sister who is on housing benefit and living in a silimar property,i've heard you cannot rent to a family member via the DSS.My girlfriends name is on the deeds of this property,could she be the landlord??
Thanks for any help

caroline7758
22-08-2006, 16:14 PM
You can not get HB if you are renting from a "Close relative". If your girlfriend's name is the only one on the deeds and the tenancy agreement you might be ok.

twig55
22-08-2006, 20:33 PM
thanks for the info,i think i wont bother as i'm also hearing bad things about payment etc. :rolleyes:

MrWoof
22-08-2006, 20:41 PM
You can not get HB if you are renting from a "Close relative". If your girlfriend's name is the only one on the deeds and the tenancy agreement you might be ok.This may vary depending on LA, my LA require a letter stating that the relative will have the same contract as other tenants and will be treated in the same way in the event of late/non payment of rent. The fact that the tenant is a relative does not affect HB.

lkhpmm
22-08-2006, 21:16 PM
We have had a very similar situation of late whereby my mother is entitled to HB. We are fairly experienced landlords and have been considering purchasing small property with my mother in mind.
I have spoken to the local authority who have advised that providing we can prove that my mother would be treated the same as any of our other tenants without any preferential treatment, then there would be no reason why HB would be withheld/withdrawn.

MrShed
22-08-2006, 22:03 PM
Our LA(Newcastle) does not allow HB to be paid to relatives.