PDA

View Full Version : My crazy and dodgy landlord

ATI
22-08-2006, 00:36 AM
Hi

Back in March i found this Landlord who accepted Tennants on Housing benefit. I had few tousands in saving as i was working flat out for 10 years and then was made redundant. he was polite but seems dodgy etc.. anyway. he offered me a flat that was not ready as he was still rebuilding the house . there was no curtains no fridge/Freezer nothing there. i was supposed to move in on 15 march. i was about to move out of my old flat then but thank God i decided to stay till 22nd and then he Claimed the flat was not ready so any how i managed to move in on 22 nd. the place was still not ready but i was desperate to move to London to care for my son. I used to live in St Albans. I took it and signed a 6 months contract AST and we had no fridge for over a week and no waching machine for 2 weeks and no curtains for 1 month. i was told to just wait for the house to be sold and the inspector to come and then he would put a partition with a door etc... I lost my temper as It turned out to be a real nighmare not being able to sleep elctricity and gas keeps going off . so I filled out a HB form and then was told that some one else was still claiming there. He appologised and decided not to get any rent for 2 weeks.he even offer me another flat instead which was next door. i took it and similar problem no curtains no fridge freezer..no locks working and then i took it anyway as i had no choice. after i moved in i realised another nightmare.
No electric metre no gas metre for the flat by rather a shared ones no flat number and also a flat garden that has its own door but share the garden with us. when i complained he told me that electricity and gas is shared by the rest of the people in top flat and garden flat(illegal flat). it took me 2 more months to get him to change the electric meter in his name and i agreed to pay for Gas for the whole house(3 flats). still he did not fix the locks at the back doors and did not do what he promissed to so i bought the curtains and minus it from rent but the locks were expensive to repair as it is a double glazed door so i am still waiting. to cut the story short i decided no to pay him this month rent which was due 1st of month and he still has one month deposit. he then started to be very rought and threaten me and my family etc... I reported him to the council and the police and he went mad because they found out he had no permission to build the back garden flat and also his bank had no idea either. the bank has now served him with a notice of repossession because he did not pay Mortgage (£3700).

Anyway i wanted to open bank accounts for my children ( i have 2 one 14 and one 11 and expecting a baby on 16 september) I get asked for an ID I could not provide one as the council refused to send me council Tax for my own flat . they claim they only have one house on their system and someone has notify them that i moved out( a lie) and that person or two made a claim so mine got suspended until they recieved a reply from landlord and landlord is not complying. The water bill comes for the whole house and the meters are the same.
Finally he gave me S21 letter asking me to leave by offering 2 months notice from 7 August (agreement finishes on 30 september) but signed it 1st April(??????) . i took it to council and they said that the form is illegal and he needs to rewrite another one or serve a S8 if he is desperate for eviction( and i would not be classified as intentionally homeless because it was the landlord who made mistakes). otherwise he needs to go to court to get the flat back.
Today i recieved a Signed letter stating that he has to the right to come in and change the locks and kick us out if we fail to pay the rent within 7 days and highlighted a clause in the contract that says so

What can I do???????

ATI
22-08-2006, 00:49 AM
Sorry i forgot to say that his letter shows only 3 payments recieved from me. a lie i showed the council that the rent was paid up to July and August is kept til he resolve the situation and even so he has one month deposit paid on 3rd of march over a month before moving in so technically he is paid up to END OF aUGUST. AST runs from 1st april till 30sept but he claimed that it runs at end of August and according to him the S21 was printed on 7 august but dated 1st April

Worldlife
22-08-2006, 04:28 AM
<snip>Finally he gave me S21 letter asking me to leave by offering 2 months notice from 7 August (agreement finishes on 30 september) but signed it 1st April(??????) . i took it to council and they said that the form is illegal and he needs to rewrite another one or serve a S8 if he is desperate for eviction( and i would not be classified as intentionally homeless because it was the landlord who made mistakes). otherwise he needs to go to court to get the flat back.
Today i recieved a Signed letter stating that he has to the right to come in and change the locks and kick us out if we fail to pay the rent within 7 days and highlighted a clause in the contract that says so

What can I do???????

Get help from Shelter and/or see a "No win - No fee lawyer" and report situation to Council.

The letter is clear evidence of harassment and attempted illegal eviction.

Please quote the clause in the AST that the landlord thinks gives him this illegal right. Your AST itself may constitute an unfair contract.

It would be helpful to whoever is advising you if you set out a summary of the series of discussions, agreements and letters by date and in consecutive order with copies of the documents you have mentioned.

Hope the tenant in this case is not a wee bit dodgy and the Housing Benefit office are aware of all income and savings. :)

Back in March i found this Landlord who accepted Tennants on Housing benefit. I had few tousands in saving as i was working flat out for 10 years and then was made redundant

Anyway i wanted to open bank accounts for my children ( i have 2 one 14 and one 11 and expecting a baby on 16 september) I get asked for an ID I could not provide one as the council refused to send me council Tax for my own flat

MrShed
22-08-2006, 07:23 AM
On the day he says he is coming to change the locks etc, call the police and ask them to be ready to come round if he turns up. If he attempts it, it is illegal eviction.

ATI
22-08-2006, 12:13 PM
Thanks guys for your help.
I managed to get another appointment with the council tomorrow afternoon and they will write to him.

Someone mentioned Dodgy tenant bacause of capital(???) the capital is mentioned to the council and is everything from my part is legal. the landlord now claims in his letter that he is aware of me visiting the police and that i broke the locks and teh locks are not his problems. there was no contract when i moved in signed to say that everything was working or not.