PDA

View Full Version : Tenant living without paying electric bill

angelina
20-08-2006, 21:26 PM
My tennant left on the 12th of June 2006. I gave her 2 months notice from the 27th of March. She sent me an e mail saying she was leaving on the 12 of June. She left without paying the last two months. She damaged the flat and left without paying the electric bill. The contract specified the the electric and gas were her responsability. When I gave her the notice she put the bill under someone else name. She closed that account opened another account with Npower for the gas and the electric. I phoned Npower to give the reading of when she left. They at first kept on sending the old bills under her name. Than after a month they changed her bill from her name to my name. I complained, sent the contract. They apologiase, tell me they made a mistake, then they send me a new letter. The same has happened three times now. Any help anybody can give?

MrShed
20-08-2006, 22:55 PM
Just tell the utility company that that person does not live there anymore. You have no liability for it.

P.Pilcher
21-08-2006, 10:02 AM
It often takes ages and many repetitive telephone calls to utility companies in situations like this where there are unusual circumstances for which their computers have not been programmed to cope. The best course of action is to get politely awquard and request contact with a supervisor because of what has happened. You can also try writing to their correspondence address, but in my experience they only read such correspondence when it is of benefit for them to do so - the remainder they invariably loose!

P.P.

angelina
21-08-2006, 20:15 PM
What I am worried about is that Npower has cancelled the tennant name from the account and sobstitute her name with mine. I have another account with them from the time she has left up to now and I have already paid. I now found myself with two different accounts numbers one legit and one belonging to my tennant both of them with my name on it. What can I do?

MrShed
21-08-2006, 20:52 PM
What I am worried about is that Npower has cancelled the tennant name from the account and sobstitute her name with mine.

Did you give them permission or otherwise ask/encourage them to do this?

MrWoof
21-08-2006, 21:23 PM
Don't phone Npower, write, keep copies, keep replies, note names. Try to find out senior executive names and try writing to them. I don't know about Npower but if it is a limited company or plc, the director's home addresses are listed at Companies House. Write to them at home, I promise you, they don't like that, last time I did it, the letter arrived on a chief executive's doormat last Christmas Eve, he was not well pleased, I was when I got a phone call from his PA on the first working day after Christmas.:D

wentworth
21-08-2006, 22:08 PM
Your situation with Npower is not uncommon and could go on for months or years. I suggest you contact the electricity watchdog could sort it out with Npower for you and save your time.

P.Pilcher
22-08-2006, 11:24 AM
Don't phone Npower, write, keep copies, keep replies, note names. Try to find out senior executive names and try writing to them. I don't know about Npower but if it is a limited company or plc, the director's home addresses are listed at Companies House. Write to them at home, I promise you, they don't like that, last time I did it, the letter arrived on a chief executive's doormat last Christmas Eve, he was not well pleased, I was when I got a phone call from his PA on the first working day after Christmas.:D

Nice one! I have carefully recorded this and will refer to it when I have an intractable problem with the utility companies! Does it also work with local authorities' council tax departments?

P.P.

angelina
22-08-2006, 12:59 PM
I did not authorise them to put it under my name they just did.
Everytime I complain or I speak with a supervisor they tell me my name has been taken out, it is only been a mistake and then they do it again. Can I issue a summon for strss related costs against them?
They even send me a letter telling me they will send the bailiffs.

MrShed
22-08-2006, 21:47 PM
Everytime I complain or I speak with a supervisor they tell me my name has been taken out, it is only been a mistake and then they do it again. Can I issue a summon for strss related costs against them?

Not a hope I am afraid. But if you have given them no authority to put your name on the account, in theory you should have little to worry about. Put your complaint in writing. If the response still gets you nowhere, I'm sure there is an ombudsman or watchdog agency that you could complain to. And MrWoofs suggestion about the company director is excellent :D