PDA

View Full Version : How much might landlord lose in this case?

TonyH
18-08-2006, 21:12 PM
Just a thought:

How much can a landlord lose?

For simplicity, lets assume:

1...Tenant moves into property on 1st january
2...Pays £500 deposit
3...Pays £500 monthly rent (pcm in advance)
4...Dosn't pay another penny

Questions:

1...On what date would landlord resume possession of property (assuming all went according to plan)?
2...How much would the landlord have lost lost (rent/court costs etc)

I know this is assuming that all goes according to plan, but will give some idea what it would cost to remove a non paying tenant.

Tony

pms
18-08-2006, 23:54 PM
What you've described is about spot on.That scam has been going on for the last 25 years.Cost to the tenant a grand cost to the landlord 2grand.;)

lawstudent
19-08-2006, 06:02 AM
Interesting one, Tony H.

Earliest dates:
2 March: S8 notice issued
3 March: S8 notice deemed served
17 March: S8 notice expires (drink a celebratory St Patrick's day Guinness)
18 March: Submit court claim
1 April: day of hearing (if you are lucky)
14 April: possession date (dittto)
15 April: tenant still there, so issue warrant of execution
30 April: tenant disappears (leaving £500 worth of damage to furnishings and decorations, say)

Tenant has been there 4 months. LL has received £500 rent much of which could disappear in court costs and legal advice. LL has a property which is no longer in a lettable state, and it is likely to be at least two months before it is back in order and re-let :(

Tassotti
19-08-2006, 12:16 PM
Interesting one, Tony H.

Earliest dates:

1 April: day of hearing (if you are lucky)

Ha ha, ha

More likely to be

26 May: day of hearing

jimbo
19-08-2006, 12:16 PM
Hello,

Longest period for a none paying tennant for me was 6 years ago the lady was on HB with several young children.

She was well known from drifting from landlord to landlord should have done further investigations but she was an ex tax inspector and gave very good references from people

took me approx eight months before she vacated all without payment of rent

payments where made direct to the tenant then an application was made for direct payment to myself after eight weeks of none payment but because she owed H B overpayments from previous addresses i did not receive a penny from them i used section 8

Her legal representatives pleaded with the judges for extension of time also balilffs coming to my house on the 11 th hour to pospone evictions unfortunate for me the judges awarded due to extreame hardship

eventualy she was then taken on by a housing trust (bad area ) the house was totally refurbished before she moved in then totally uninhabitable when she moved out took me another month to get it back in order then another month before somebody took the tenancy they have been there now approx 4 years could not ask for better tenants this for me was a big learning curve some you win some you loose always do your homework.:rolleyes:

Jimbo

wentworth
21-08-2006, 22:51 PM
This is not a hyperthetical answer.

Tennants move in 17th August, rent stops 2 months later.

Section 21 notice issued November and ignored. (technicality)

January 2nd section 21 notice issued and ignored

March start court proceedings on expiry of notice.

Possession hearing at court in June, tennants claim extreme poverty, Judge gives possession order for October.

Tennants do a runner in August, Landlord finds them and issues court notice for recovery of outstanding rent, tennants counter claim for neglect and harrasment.

Case: Ongoing after 18 months.
Loss of rent: £4050
Legal fees: £2000
Repair costs: £1500
Tennants ability to pay if case ever ends and they can be found: £0

What you can loose is basically unlimited with the legal system we have in this country. Its amazing that payment of rent can be avioded through the 1001 loopholes in the current outdated LL/Tennant laws.(Which basically amounts to legal theft)

Is there a morale to this story?

pms
21-08-2006, 23:15 PM
This is not a hyperthetical answer.

Tennants move in 17th August, rent stops 2 months later.

Section 21 notice issued November and ignored. (technicality)

January 2nd section 21 notice issued and ignored

March start court proceedings on expiry of notice.

Possession hearing at court in June, tennants claim extreme poverty, Judge gives possession order for October.

Tennants do a runner in August, Landlord finds them and issues court notice for recovery of outstanding rent, tennants counter claim for neglect and harrasment.

Case: Ongoing after 18 months.
Loss of rent: £4050
Legal fees: £2000
Repair costs: £1500
Tennants ability to pay if case ever ends and they can be found: £0

What you can loose is basically unlimited with the legal system we have in this country. Its amazing that payment of rent can be avioded through the 1001 loopholes in the current outdated LL/Tennant laws.(Which basically amounts to legal theft)

Is there a morale to this story?

Yes there is a morale to this story.The tenant will always win.I'm now going to tell you fact.A tenant in a East London Borough racked up rent arrears of £4,800 pounds she had a wide screen tele in her front room,laminate flooring throughtout.She claimed disrepair because of the mould growth in her bathroom because she was too lazy to open her bathroom window.It went to court and before it even got to the courtroom it was settled.Cost to the borough 3 times the amount the tenant was in arrears for.It p's me off and no doubt it p's a lot of people off.The morale of this is the system and in my opinion the system needs a complete overhaul:mad: