PDA

View Full Version : New to letting 6 or 12 month AST

dazzamancs
18-08-2006, 15:50 PM
I was hoping someone might be able to offer me some advice.

I'm new to letting, I have gone through a letting agency and I think ! found a really nice tenant. However the tenant wants a 12 month fixed term AST. which I sort of happy to do but I have looked on the web and understand that the contact although 12 months would be better to contain a break clause in case of a problem. The letting agency who have arranged the contract have said that they dont usually include this but are happy to do so if I wish.

What would any recommend ???

smandir
18-08-2006, 17:28 PM
Always go for a 6 month AST, don't be fooled by the nice tenant act. They can turn into tenants from hell, trust me i know.

If they really are as nice as they say, they should have no problem having a 6 month AST, which you can extend for a further 6 months when it expires. Its the best option for all parties.

MrShed
18-08-2006, 18:20 PM
Or even better have a 6 month AST which rolls onto a periodic tenancy. Any seasoned landlord will tell you it is better to have a 6 month AST rather than anything longer. If you must, then put a break clause in...but the break clause must be seperate from the main AST. At the end of the day, I would just explain to them that so long as they are good tenants, they have no need to be concerned about being evicted before 12 months has passed.

Ruth Less
18-08-2006, 19:18 PM
I would just explain to them that so long as they are good tenants, they have no need to be concerned about being evicted before 12 months has passed.

Speaking from a tenants point of view through, there is a very real concern about being evicted, quite simply there are many landlords selling up these days! With the interest rates going up I expect there to be even more. Not that I blame the landlords, there's nothing wrong with taking a profit, but any tenant that has had to move at an inconvenient time, as I have, due to a landlord wanting to sell is going to be wary of it happening again.

dazzamancs, Maybe ask the tenants what their concern is and if they are worried about your selling up then reassure them of your position.

Mina
20-08-2006, 18:38 PM
Mr SHed,
Do you need any particular wording to turn the 6M AST into a periodic tenancy or do all parties just stay silent?

pms
20-08-2006, 18:53 PM
Speaking from a tenants point of view through, there is a very real concern about being evicted, quite simply there are many landlords selling up these days! With the interest rates going up I expect there to be even more. Not that I blame the landlords, there's nothing wrong with taking a profit, but any tenant that has had to move at an inconvenient time, as I have, due to a landlord wanting to sell is going to be wary of it happening again.

dazzamancs, Maybe ask the tenants what their concern is and if they are worried about your selling up then reassure them of your position.

I would rather go for a secure tenancy:D

MrWoof
20-08-2006, 21:33 PM
Mr SHed,
Do you need any particular wording to turn the 6M AST into a periodic tenancy or do all parties just stay silent?
My tenancy agreement states that the initial term will continue as a periodic tenancy if both parties agree but I don't think it is necessary to do this. As far as I am aware, an AST automatically goes periodic after the initial term.

MrShed
20-08-2006, 21:36 PM
As far as I know, Mr Woof is spot on.

Ruth Less
20-08-2006, 22:26 PM
pms: I would rather go for a secure tenancy:D

Eh?