PDA

View Full Version : Reasonable costs

mattygg
22-06-2010, 02:36 AM
Hi All,

I am just editing my AST before my tennant signs. I was just wondering what would be reasonable costs for sending reminder letters and for cheques/debits that do not clear.

Thanks

Matt

Snorkerz
22-06-2010, 07:19 AM
You can (iirc) only charge the actual costs involved.

So, if a bank charges you because your tenants cheque bounces - you pass on that fee.

If you go overdrawn because the tenant doesn't pay - you can't charge for that.

I would be inclined not to charge for letters. For the few pennies that they cost to produce, the bad feeling such a charge would incur isn't worth it.

Some people charge interest on late payments. A charge of 3 percentage points above the BoE base rate would be fair - but again, at the moment it is pennies - around 82p per day on a £1000 rent - so probably not worth the hassle.

dominic
22-06-2010, 12:42 PM

Rubbish!

Legally (not morally, I might add), you can agree whatever charges you want. This is a contract, with both parties agreeing from the outset what fees will be incurred when and on what events. There is nothing* stopping you from making a profit.

*Some charges, if challenged by the tenant before a judge, may be deemed "unfair" and therefore unenforceable, but it has to be ruled thus by a judge.

mop121
22-06-2010, 12:53 PM
Agree, you can charge for unpaid rent, I wouldnt charge for reminder letters though.

If they dont pay up and the banks hits you, why should you bare the costs when the T is at fault.

Bogerm
22-06-2010, 13:36 PM
Rubbish!
*Some charges, if challenged by the tenant before a judge, may be deemed "unfair" and therefore unenforceable, but it has to be ruled thus by a judge.

Exactly, that why when my LA tried to charge me £25 "admin fee" for later payment of agreement renewal, I simply refused and told them to start court procedure if they want. In fact I did send it in time, but they lost my cheque, so I had to send them another one. In result this fee was dropped...

I wouldn't worry about small fees and would raise rent instead if I really wanted to cover admin expenses...

jeffrey
22-06-2010, 13:39 PM
For L's ability to levy variable administration charges, s.158 of 2002 Act (and Schedule 11 to the Act) will deal with the legalities.

Snorkerz
22-06-2010, 14:34 PM

Rubbish!

So, you wern't impressed with my comment then? I thought punitive charges were 'unfair', but obviously I was wrong.

dominic
22-06-2010, 15:02 PM
So, you wern't impressed with my comment then? I thought punitive charges were 'unfair', but obviously I was wrong.

These are not damages, but a debt agreed at the outset which would be owed in consideration of LL doing some act.

You may instead call these excessive charges, but prima facie they are enforceable against T.