PDA

View Full Version : Letting Agent charging L for registering with DPS

DMarriott
08-06-2010, 10:08 AM
Have today received my invoice from the Letting Agent for letting out my property.

Have noticed that they have charged me £47.00 for registering me with the DPS in order to proctect the tenants deposit.

I thought the DPS was a free service? So why are the agents charging me to register? The first I heard of it was in the invoice...nothing has been said to me nor is it in the tenancy agreement.

T has only moved in within the last week, should i challenge it or are they right?

Any help appreciated!

Snorkerz
08-06-2010, 10:21 AM
You are correct that DPS is a free service. However, I suspect the £47 is an admin fee to cover the agents time and costs.

It won't be in the tenancy agreement, but check your agency agreement as this is where such fees should be detailed. If it's not there, then dispute it.

dominic
08-06-2010, 10:23 AM
Next time, insist you register the deposit yourself. Safer in your hands anyway.

P.Pilcher
08-06-2010, 11:00 AM
An agent I used recently tried this one however it was clearly stated in his agency contract so I was able to instruct him to pass on the tenant's deposit to me as soon as he received it. He did, there was no argument and I promptly bunged it into the DPS and sent my new tenant her statutory information which of course cost me nothing.
I also noted that this particular agent had issued my new tenant with a S21 notice to expire at the end of the fixed period of the AST she had just signed. I had specifically instructed him not to do this and when it was mentioned, he apologised indicating that it was standard practice for his firm which his staff had followed by mistake: Fair enough - but the S21 notice was invalid anyway as it had been issued before the deposit had been protected. My new tenant and I had a good laugh over that one!

P.P.

humbug1s1k
08-06-2010, 11:09 AM
My agency wouldnt charge anything unless it was agreed prior to the letting, check your agency agreement and see what it states as far as fees, if it doesnt mention it as a separate charge then challenge them.

No fee should come as a surprise, and I would admit some agents can be quite cheeky in not mentioning fees and hoping you dont read the full terms and conditions, always read your agreement.

mind the gap
08-06-2010, 15:14 PM
An agent I used recently tried this one however it was clearly stated in his agency contract so I was able to instruct him to pass on the tenant's deposit to me as soon as he received it. He did, there was no argument and I promptly bunged it into the DPS and sent my new tenant her statutory information which of course cost me nothing.
I also noted that this particular agent had issued my new tenant with a S21 notice to expire at the end of the fixed period of the AST she had just signed. I had specifically instructed him not to do this and when it was mentioned, he apologised indicating that it was standard practice for his firm which his staff had followed by mistake: Fair enough - but the S21 notice was invalid anyway as it had been issued before the deposit had been protected. My new tenant and I had a good laugh over that one!

P.P.

You are easily amused :D

To be honest, it sounds as though your agent is a bit of a liability!

Snorkerz: £47 for the agent's 'time' and 'costs' to protect a deposit? It takes approximate 4.5 minutes online. This is the kind of charge which would persuade me to break my long-held principle that physical violence is not the answer, and set about the LA in question round the head with primeval screams and a large, heavy, rotting fish.

Snorkerz
08-06-2010, 15:34 PM
Snorkerz: £47 for the agent's 'time' and 'costs' to protect a deposit? It takes approximate 4.5 minutes online. This is the kind of charge which would persuade me to break my long-held principle that physical violence is not the answer, and set about the LA in question round the head with primeval screams and a large, heavy, rotting fish.No arguments there - you know my love of agents - but if OP signed an agency agreement that included this 'charge' then he'd be liable for it. Don't forget, the company probably has to pay bank charges for every cheque it issues (50p?) and would have the cost of postage to send the cheque to the DPS (41p)

Snorkerz
08-06-2010, 15:36 PM
You are easily amused :D

To be honest, it sounds as though your agent is a bit of a liability!

Snorkerz: £47 for the agent's 'time' and 'costs' to protect a deposit? It takes approximate 4.5 minutes online. This is the kind of charge which would persuade me to break my long-held principle that physical violence is not the answer, and set about the LA in question round the head with primeval screams and a large, heavy, rotting fish.

MTG, shall we set up an agency together? You do North & I'll do South. "Mind The Snorkerz" would be a good name - and probably good advice for prospective landlords!

mind the gap
08-06-2010, 17:42 PM
MTG, shall we set up an agency together? You do North & I'll do South. "Mind The Snorkerz" would be a good name - and probably good advice for prospective landlords!

I still incline to 'Snorkerz & Gap' (it has a classier ring to it!) but I'm up for it!

mind the gap
08-06-2010, 19:26 PM
No arguments there - you know my love of agents - but if OP signed an agency agreement that included this 'charge' then he'd be liable for it. Don't forget, the company probably has to pay bank charges for every cheque it issues (50p?) and would have the cost of postage to send the cheque to the DPS (41p)

Why can't the agent do it online? They have online banking everywhere these days - even on their small blue planet, which lies very far far away in a distant galaxy on the other side of the known universe. (Apologies to Clangers).

P.Pilcher
08-06-2010, 20:28 PM
Mind-the-Gap: No - I was quite happy with the agent. I was using him for the first time - he had passed my third degree interview on the telephone with flying colours, was of course in the ARLA and NEA and despite the fact that we think his deposit charge was cheeky, he was totally up front about it as it was clearly stated in his agreement - which of course I read carefully.
When I challenged him about it he was perfectly happy to send me the deposit so I could protect myself.

My tenant is a legal exec, so she knows plenty about L/T law hence we could have an appropriate laugh. This is why I only use an agent for what I consider they should be good at - organising viewings, interviewing and credit checking potential tenants, reporting appropriately to me and then, once the new tenant has signed his AST, their duties cease - except to collect their one off fee.

P.P.

mind the gap
08-06-2010, 20:59 PM
Mind-the-Gap: No - I was quite happy with the agent. I was using him for the first time - he had passed my third degree interview on the telephone with flying colours, was of course in the ARLA and NEA and despite the fact that we think his deposit charge was cheeky, he was totally up front about it as it was clearly stated in his agreement - which of course I read carefully.
When I challenged him about it he was perfectly happy to send me the deposit so I could protect myself.

My tenant is a legal exec, so she knows plenty about L/T law hence we could have an appropriate laugh. This is why I only use an agent for what I consider they should be good at - organising viewings, interviewing and credit checking potential tenants, reporting appropriately to me and then, once the new tenant has signed his AST, their duties cease - except to collect their one off fee.

P.P.
That's alright then!