PDA

View Full Version : is this illeagal eviction

dicecat410
23-04-2010, 19:39 PM
hiya,
my boyfriend and i share a room in a shared house. I have paid my half the rent but my boyfriend is having problems with his job seekers which will soon be sorted but has subsequently made us a month behind on our rent this Monday just gone(5/4/10). on the Wednesday that followed our house mate was sent a text from our landlord telling him to tell my boyfriend to pay up by Saturday(tomorrow) or he will remove us from the house the same day.
Please help me is he allowed to do this im so worried that im going to lose my home :(

dominic
23-04-2010, 19:47 PM
If your landlord does not share the premises with you, it is certainly illegal eviction yes, which is a criminal offence, and you should report him to the police, with the text as evidence.

dicecat410
23-04-2010, 19:51 PM
If your landlord does not share the premises with you, it is certainly illegal eviction yes, which is a criminal offence, and you should report him to the police, with the text as evidence.

no my landlord does not live with me. what should i do tomorrow if he tries to chuck us out he has been know to bring big scary men with him to eviction ive witnessed two.

Snorkerz
23-04-2010, 20:41 PM
no my landlord does not live with me. what should i do tomorrow if he tries to chuck us out he has been know to bring big scary men with him to eviction ive witnessed two.If you can, lock your room and call 999. If there are threats, or for any reason you feel intimidated, leave peacefully and calmly - and then 999 from around the corner. The police will get you back in straight away. If you have a written tenancy agreement, keep a copy of it with you because it will make proving your tenancy to the police much easier.

westminster
23-04-2010, 20:46 PM
no my landlord does not live with me. what should i do tomorrow if he tries to chuck us out he has been know to bring big scary men with him to eviction ive witnessed two.

If this is a tenancy in England/Wales, and the landlord is not resident, he must first give you notice to end the tenancy. This can be on the mandatory grounds of two months'/eight weeks' rent owing and unpaid, or just because the fixed term has ended. There are other grounds which don't guarantee that the LL will get possession if he applies for a court order, but either way, you must be given written notice.

If you don't go after the notice, then the landlord must apply to the court for a possession order. You can contest the application if you have a good reason. And even if the landlord gets the order, if you still don't go, the landlord must ask a bailiff to enforce the possession order.

If LL sends big scary men around to physically evict you, it's a criminal offence, and you should firstly call the police. Secondly, you should report the landlord to the local council, because they are the ones who prosecute for illegal eviction/harassment.

If you are illegally evicted, you can also bring a civil claim against the landlord for damages. You may be eligible for legal aid, or you may find a solicitor willing to act on a no-win-no-fee basis. Illegal eviction damages can run to tens of thousands of pounds. Seriously.

Seek advice from the council, or Shelter, or a Citizens' Advice Bureau, or a community Law Centre.

dicecat410
23-04-2010, 21:29 PM
thank you for all your help now i wont be petrified when my landlord comes tomorrow. In future i will do a little more research than just taking the first room available. Obviously my landlord doesn't know his ass from his elbow or just chooses to ignore or obey what he chooses to suit him. I will recommend this forum to anyone i talk in my position-2 hours of searching the net for answers and you guys have taken a weight off my mind in ten mins your angels xx