PDA

View Full Version : T arranged for change of electricity meter; L never agreed

blah blah
14-04-2010, 17:06 PM
Got a call today from my new tennant to say that British Gas has been round to take out the metre as it has been tampered with. I called them to see what was happening and they want me to pay £640 to install a new one. They dont know when it was tampered with or by who but i have to pay. has any one delt with this before???? please help . have called ofgem they will only deal with the tennant and british gas will only look to me for the money WOT!

P.Pilcher
14-04-2010, 23:57 PM
See if another energy supplier will reconnect your property for less money.

P.P.

Mars Mug
15-04-2010, 06:30 AM
The title of the thread doesn’t seem to fully match the description, has the meter been previously changed by a tenant or not? Is the current tenant suspected of tampering with the meter and if so can this be proven?

Always Problems
15-04-2010, 07:45 AM
Am I wrong, but I had 2 new meters fitted, and no matter who your electricity supplier is they do not "personally" fit new meters, they all use "United Utilities" who fit the meters, so the charge will be the same for all.
And as OFGEM will only deal with your tenant, that is the route which must be followed.
As if you pay the £640 on this occasion, and the next tenant tampers with the new meter you will end up paying again for another one.
Perhaps also this is one of the reasons that some landlords take a deposit as the deposit could be "Offset" against the cost of the new meter.
I would also want British Gas to put the reason they too the meter away in writing as it would appear that you may have claim against your former tenant.
I would also suggest that your tenant goes to the council for advice.

matthew_henson
15-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Unless L had a contract with electricty company prior to current tenancy or previous tenancies I can not see how they are implicit in the accusation of tampering. A contract to supply is with the user/tenant not the property owner.

You may need some legal advice but I am presuming meter tampering is a criminal offence (as opposed to a civil) and the penalty should be paid by the proven guilty party.

Either way it is in the electricity companies interest to provide a working meter to charge for future usage. Perhaps trading standard might help (although my exprience with them has never been good and their advice actually wrong)