PDA

View Full Version : Not received notice

findme
14-04-2010, 14:46 PM
Hi,

I've been renting for over 4 years now and am pretty up to date with what I need to do to end my tenancy term.

However.....

On my current tenancy I signed up for 6 months and after which no new agreement was signed. I did however before my last payment for rent give the 4 weeks notice required any way. I have rung up the letting agent with whome i've had most contact with acuse I don't have any for the landlord and they state now (1 and a half weeks before my aticipated move date) that they have not receieved my notice.

I am expecting to move very soon and have paid deposits for a new place already i cannot afford to pay rent for another month and rent on my new place.

Do I have a leg to stand on?

mind the gap
14-04-2010, 14:50 PM
Hi,

I've been renting for over 4 years now and am pretty up to date with what I need to do to end my tenancy term.

However.....

On my current tenancy I signed up for 6 months and after which no new agreement was signed. I did however before my last payment for rent give the 4 weeks notice required any way. I have rung up the letting agent with whome i've had most contact with acuse I don't have any for the landlord and they state now (1 and a half weeks before my aticipated move date) that they have not receieved my notice.

I am expecting to move very soon and have paid deposits for a new place already i cannot afford to pay rent for another month and rent on my new place.

Your post is a little confusing - if your current AST is a 6 month fixed term, and if you have paid the rent up to the end of the 6 month fixed term , you cannot be made to pay any more if you move out by the last day of that fixed term. You are not even required to give any notice at all, although it is courteous to do so.

The only way that you would be liable for another month's rent is if you failed to moved out and the tenancy thus became 'periodic'.

Or do you mean that 4 years ago you signed a contract for 6 months which has since become periodic, and you have not given notice in writing?

Please clarify!

matthew_henson
14-04-2010, 14:50 PM
Hi,

However.....

Notices need to be in writing to the address stated in your contract or if a new section 48 was issued, that address.

The only thing you can do is try and negociate

matthew_henson
14-04-2010, 14:51 PM
Don't worry! If you have paid the rent up to the end of the 6 month fixed term of your current AST, you cannot be made to pay any more if you move out by the last day of that fixed term. You are not even required to give any notice at all, although it is courteous to do so.

The only way that you would be liable for another month's rent is if you failed to moved out and the tenancy thus became 'periodic'.

T signed for 6 months AST but has been periodic for 3.5 years

findme
14-04-2010, 14:56 PM
sorry to make it clear. i originally signed up for 6 months which then finished. i neevr signed a new contract after that and had no follow up from the letting agents.
the original 6 month term finished about 5 months ago. i have not paid rent in advance to cover 6 months and pay towards the end of the month every month.
I work stupid hours and therefore am never able to go in person to the letting agent so posted my original notice request to the agent before i paid this months rent. they are claiming that they never recieved it.

mind the gap
14-04-2010, 14:58 PM
sorry to make it clear. i originally signed up for 6 months which then finished. i neevr signed a new contract after that and had no follow up from the letting agents.
the original 6 month term finished about 5 months ago. i have not paid rent in advance to cover 6 months and pay towards the end of the month every month.
I work stupid hours and therefore am never able to go in person to the letting agent so posted my original notice request to the agent before i paid this months rent. they are claiming that they never recieved it.

I am still not sure where the 'four years' comes into it, but if your most recent fixed term ended five months ago, then you do need to have served notice in writing, as you seem to have done. Did you keep a copy of the letter you sent and proof of postage?

findme
14-04-2010, 15:09 PM
If you are no longer within the fixed term of a tenancy then please let me know because the fact that the letting agent has not received any notice does not necessarily mean that you have to serve a new notice. (in certain circumstances the law deems your notice to have been received even if it never arrived).

Thankyou I am not in any fixed term tenancy at this time. as stated the contract actually ended 5 months ago and I never signed a new one and the letting agents never contacted me to see if I wanted to extend and re-sign for another 6 months.

No new paperwork has ever been issued so from what MTG is saying i'm probably on the periodic tenancy type thing.

(and yes the 4 years is total renting time however not in my current property)

Paul Gibbs
14-04-2010, 15:13 PM
Please tell us: -

1. What was the start date of the original tenancy
2. The date that 6 month term ended
3. Under the original agreement when was the rent payable (and was it to be paid weekly or monthly)
4. When the 6 month agreement ended were you still required to pay rent on the same date, and at the same frequency
5. On what date did you send the notice to the letting agent, how was it served (post or by hand)
6 How long did your notice state it was to run for (i.e. did you give 4 weeks notice or 1 month?)

Snorkerz
14-04-2010, 15:39 PM
If you can prove that the letter was sent, you are probably okay (proof would be something like a free certificate of positing), without proof you may have to give fresh notice.

Charles19
15-04-2010, 10:54 AM
If you can prove that the letter was sent, you are probably okay (proof would be something like a free certificate of positing), without proof you may have to give fresh notice.

Strange thing this free 'proof of posting'. Last time I used it I was given the blank little document but with the PO stamp already on it and asked to fill it in. I could have filled in any address as I was not asked to show it or to post my letter back over the counter. I think you are supposed to fill in the 'proof' card and then you hand over the letter and then they stamp it and post letter themselves. Still, its all valid. Just the system that is short cut by my local PO counter staff I guess.
Chas

Snorkerz
15-04-2010, 11:11 AM
Strange thing this free 'proof of posting'. Last time I used it I was given the blank little document but with the PO stamp already on it and asked to fill it in. I could have filled in any address as I was not asked to show it or to post my letter back over the counter. I think you are supposed to fill in the 'proof' card and then you hand over the letter and then they stamp it and post letter themselves. Still, its all valid. Just the system that is short cut by my local PO counter staff I guess.
Chas

True, but if you buy your stamp at the same time, you will get a computer-printed 'till-receipt' with the delivery postcode printed on it. The 'hand-written' ones should only be used for parcels but staff use them as a short cut because the computer ones are inconvenient for prepaid items.