PDA

View Full Version : Late rent - again! No contact from tenants

Frustration
14-04-2010, 10:09 AM
I have text and rung tenants who have failed to pay this months rent. They have not replied or contacted us. I cannot arrange a time to visit if I cannot contact them. Can I let myself in? Where do I go from here?

Mars Mug
14-04-2010, 10:19 AM
I Can I let myself in?

What for? What do you intend to do?

How late is the payment?

matthew_henson
14-04-2010, 10:57 AM
Can I let myself in?

Illegal I am afraid, you can indeed be a trespasser in your own property and it is considered as harrasment which if taken far enough and causes T enough distress to leave will no doubt land you with a hefty fine for unlawful eviction.

Charles19
14-04-2010, 11:57 AM
Illegal I am afraid, you can indeed be a trespasser in your own property and it is considered as harrasment which if taken far enough and causes T enough distress to leave will no doubt land you with a hefty fine for unlawful eviction.

Is this true if the L has indeed contacted (or tried to as best efforts) and allowed enough time as per AST (normally 24 hrs) after notification before going in?

I would only consider this action if I had sent postal letter announcing my intention (if unable to contact via mobile or landline). Phones can be out of service/battery etc and should not be relied upon IMV.

Is this still illegal? If so what to do...as asked?
Chas

matthew_henson
14-04-2010, 12:35 PM
Is this true if the L has indeed contacted (or tried to as best efforts) and allowed enough time as per AST (normally 24 hrs) after notification before going in?

I would only consider this action if I had sent postal letter announcing my intention (if unable to contact via mobile or landline). Phones can be out of service/battery etc and should not be relied upon IMV.

Is this still illegal? If so what to do...as asked?
Chas

I was making the assumption of the OP letting themself in without giving notice, however there is nothing to stop them showing up at the door to speak to T but any action which could be regarded as harrasement is unwise.

I personally would write (and get proof of posting rather than send registered) stateing that unless they pay in the next 7 days you will issue a section 8 eviction notice on ground 10 & 11. It is a bit of a weak threat in reality as it may not result in a mandatory eviction but it means you are serious.

As soon as T is two months in arrears issues a section 8 on ground 8,10 & 11

Is the tenancy an AST or has it gone periodic?

Frustration
19-04-2010, 17:50 PM
It is an AST. They are always 2 or 3 weeks late and as I have a mortgage on the place a kind of need the money to cover that (do Landlord's have no rights to have the money on time as per stated in the contract?). This months is 3 weeks late. I have not heard from them - we have sent letter urging payment, I have also text and rung. My family who live nearby said the curtains are permanently drawn and so I am worried about the rent and now the house itself.

Jaybee542
19-04-2010, 17:59 PM
It is an AST. They are always 2 or 3 weeks late and as I have a mortgage on the place a kind of need the money to cover that (do Landlord's have no rights to have the money on time as per stated in the contract?). This months is 3 weeks late. I have not heard from them - we have sent letter urging payment, I have also text and rung. My family who live nearby said the curtains are permanently drawn and so I am worried about the rent and now the house itself.

I understand your frustration but there is always a possibility that tenants may pay late and so you really need to have several months worth of mortgage payments put by to meet your mortgage obligations in case your tenants don't pay in time or indeed at all. You cannot let yourself in without their permission unless there is some emergency that needs attending to. Late payment of rent is not such an emergency.