PDA

View Full Version : Very Confused Where I Stand With LA

rosierd
14-04-2010, 08:43 AM
I will begin by apologising for the information not to be in any order it is to the best of my knowledge however.

I began renting with my current letting agents on 16th October 2009 and had no problems with them whatsoever up until 15th March when we were served with a s21 notice dated 15th march and due to expire on 15th May. As far as I was aware I had no problems with this until I then rang up my estate agents to say that I had found somewhere else to live and that we would be vacating on the 22nd April and that we pay our rent in advance so we have already paid the whole of April and so I was expecting to be reimbursed. However they said to me that I have to pay rent up until the end of the s21 notice stating it says this in my tenancy agreement, I had a read through it and it mentions nothing of s21 notices or being evicted as such but the only clause I found was that if a further tenancy agreement is not agreed then it continues on a monthly statutory rent paying it on the date of commencement i.e 16th to the following 16th, but we had recieved in feburary a notice if we wished to extend the agreement and we agreed to a further 6 months but surely since they issued us with a s21 why would we be liable after the 22nd April to 15th May?

Also our letting agents have been very rude towards us and they sent somebody round to take a look at the windows as they have blown and we are getting milldew coming through and he then came round and began snooping elsewhere and paid careful attention to plug sockets and so on. One week later we get a call saying they wanted to check the plug sockets and would be sending someone round.

We have on several occassions also reported problems to them and they have yet to still fix our radiator which we have reported on 4 occassions to them. we also moved in and our drawer front broke which we reported and they fixed but when they came round to inspect the property they tried blaming us for not reporting it when it broke again in which we did and they said they had no record of anyone coming to fix it before.

On a final note I found out from somebody who rents also and that by law I am allowed the contact information for the landlord in which I don't have at all the contact address is our estate agents. I wish to have the details if its possible to speak to the landlord and find out what has been happening because I believe our lettings agents are painting a bad picture of us. Plus the irony being the landlord has now chosen a different estate agents to sell the house from the letting agent we are with.

Sorry for the long message and thank you for any help and advice you can give me.

Daniel

Snorkerz
14-04-2010, 16:14 PM
we were served with a s21 notice dated 15th march and due to expire on 15th May. As far as I was aware I had no problems with this until I then rang up my estate agents to say that I had found somewhere else to live and that we would be vacating on the 22nd April and that we pay our rent in advance so we have already paid the whole of April and so I was expecting to be reimbursed. However they said to me that I have to pay rent up until the end of the s21 notice stating it says this in my tenancy agreement, I had a read through it and it mentions nothing of s21 notices or being evicted as such but the only clause I found was that if a further tenancy agreement is not agreed then it continues on a monthly statutory rent paying it on the date of commencement i.e 16th to the following 16th, This is correct - your property is rented in periods of one month - not part months. There is no mention of 'section 21' but the start of your tenancy agreement probably makes mention of the 1988 Housing Act - s21 is in there for all to see.
but we had recieved in feburary a notice if we wished to extend the agreement and we agreed to a further 6 months but surely since they issued us with a s21 why would we be liable after the 22nd April to 15th May?If you have a copy of the 6 months extension, then it sounds as if the fixed term doesn't end until August - landlord can not evict you before then, so 15th May is irrelevant and probably invalid.
Also our letting agents have been very rude towards us and they sent somebody round to take a look at the windows as they have blown and we are getting milldew coming through and he then came round and began snooping elsewhere and paid careful attention to plug sockets and so on. One week later we get a call saying they wanted to check the plug sockets and would be sending someone round.Sounds like they are interested in your safety and welfare, why is this a problem?
We have on several occassions also reported problems to them and they have yet to still fix our radiator which we have reported on 4 occassions to them. we also moved in and our drawer front broke which we reported and they fixed but when they came round to inspect the property they tried blaming us for not reporting it when it broke again in which we did and they said they had no record of anyone coming to fix it before.We hear this a lot - but on the grand scale of things, I am sure you would count these as minor irritations.
On a final note I found out from somebody who rents also and that by law I am allowed the contact information for the landlord in which I don't have at all the contact address is our estate agents. I wish to have the details if its possible to speak to the landlord and find out what has been happening because I believe our lettings agents are painting a bad picture of us. Plus the irony being the landlord has now chosen a different estate agents to sell the house from the letting agent we are with.You need to request the landlords details IN WRITING from the letting agent. They have 14 days to provide it. Section 1.1 Landlord & Tenant Act 1985.

westminster
14-04-2010, 17:29 PM
I began renting with my current letting agents on 16th October 2009 and had no problems with them whatsoever up until 15th March when we were served with a s21 notice dated 15th march and due to expire on 15th May.

As far as I was aware I had no problems with this until I then rang up my estate agents to say that I had found somewhere else to live and that we would be vacating on the 22nd April and that we pay our rent in advance so we have already paid the whole of April and so I was expecting to be reimbursed. However they said to me that I have to pay rent up until the end of the s21 notice stating it says this in my tenancy agreement...

we had recieved in feburary a notice if we wished to extend the agreement and we agreed to a further 6 months but surely since they issued us with a s21 why would we be liable after the 22nd April to 15th May?

Questions:

What are the dates of the initial fixed term? I'm guessing 16th October - 15th April?

Did you sign a renewal contract for for a further fixed term or not?

Did you pay a deposit and is it protected?

westminster
14-04-2010, 17:31 PM
I wish to have the details if its possible to speak to the landlord and find out what has been happening because I believe our lettings agents are painting a bad picture of us. Plus the irony being the landlord has now chosen a different estate agents to sell the house from the letting agent we are with.
The agent only has to provide the landlord's name and address, not his phone number. It seems likely that they are seeking possession because the LL wants to sell the house with vacant possession.