PDA

View Full Version : Renting property - LL's and previous T's possessions left behind

lauralillee
13-04-2010, 06:58 AM
Hi all,
We have just got the keys for a house we are renting for the next 3 years.

When we signed the contract (not AST as over 25k) and discussed with the letting agent we explained that while there were some furnishings in the property we would not require them all as we have our own furniture. (ie we have our own sofas, beds etc).

The letting agent said this was fine and we could just let them know what we didn't need.

We went to the house yesterday and all the storage space is full of, to put it bluntly, crap! Old tents, waterproofs, dirty wellies, cricket bats, golf balls, manky old bedlinen (stuff I didn't even want to touch!).

On inspection there was also a load of books, boardgames, random ornaments etc in the living room and bedrooms. As well as old boxes, bags, shoes left behind by the T's who moved out at the weekend.

Additionally the kitchen is full of what can again only be described as total rubbish. Ancient appliances (think stained 70s tefal!), old takeaway tubs, rusty roasting pans and pots etc etc, old cans of this and that.

The inventory clerk was there as we got the keys, rolling his eyes over the state of everything - not professionally cleaned etc etc. He is sending his report by post, so we haven't signed anything regarding the contents/furniture yet.

Now I don't want any of this junk kicking about and think it is unreasonable for such things to be left when we are renting the whole house for 3 years. I have contacted the agents who are letting the property to get it taken away.

They've now started making noises saying that the contract says the property is furnished and the LL may not let us move the belongings.

Surely the LA/LL can't say we've agreed to have all this stuff when we haven't yet signed the inventory/schedule of condition.

My questions are therefore:

- firstly we expressly told the LA that we were bringing our own furniture and that we wouldn't need that much to be left. The LA said that although the property was termed 'furnished' in the contract, this would be fine.

- the property is 3 bedroom and we explicitly stated that we would need 2 of the beds removed as we're going to turn one room into a study and put a bed settee in the other. Again the LA said the removal shouldn't be a problem.

- I let out my own property and wouldn't dream of leaving it filled with my junk - is this allowed? Surely if the T has sole use etc then they shouldn't have to live with another person's detritus especially if it takes up space they are paying for.

- Additionally all the properties I've rented or let have had minimally used cutlery/crockery etc. Again I wouldn't leave people rusting pots and pans.

- When I've rented property/let my own I have always been under the impression that if a tenant asks for a piece of furniture etc to be removed then the LL does so. In the past I've also bought furniture for T's when asked.

- If the LA/LL fail to remove the furniture etc what can we do? We have our movers coming on Thursday and need the LL's stuff to go before ours will be able to fit in.

- At the moment my other half is threatening to either chuck things or sell them and buy back similar at the end of the tenancy. Are either of these doable?

Thanks in advance!:)

thesaint
13-04-2010, 09:58 AM
They've now started making noises saying that the contract says the property is furnished and the LL may not let us move the belongings.

Do you have the contract?

westminster
13-04-2010, 10:27 AM
Hi all,
We have just got the keys for a house we are renting for the next 3 years.

When we signed the contract (not AST as over 25k) and discussed with the letting agent we explained that while there were some furnishings in the property we would not require them all as we have our own furniture. (ie we have our own sofas, beds etc).

The letting agent said this was fine and we could just let them know what we didn't need.

Is there anything in writing from the agent or LL to the effect that LL will remove x, y or z - or did you give a list to the agent saying what you wanted to be removed? (as you said you would), because if not, it's a bit late to expect the LL to sort out moving beds etc two days before you move your stuff in, nor is he obliged to now that you've signed the tenancy agreement, unless that was part of the contract negotiated.

And surely you saw the kitchen appliances when you viewed the house? Did they promise to replace them?

The inventory report doesn't affect the position; all it does is describe the condition and contents of the house at check-in. You can amend it if it inaccurate, but it doesn't alter the fact that the contents etc are what they are.

Of course it's unreasonable and highly inconsiderate to let the house filthy and full of junk; old tents and wellies are not 'furnishings', but whether it constitutes, say, a breach of quiet enjoyment, is arguable.

Whether you have something in writing or not, all you can do is kick up an almighty stink and insist that the house is cleared and cleaned by Thursday a.m. Ideally, get your solicitor to fax a very strongly worded letter to the agent.

I would also advise you to take loads of photos, and not just rely on the inventory clerk's ones.