View Full Version : T occupied since 1986; what security of tenure?
09-04-2010, 15:07 PM
I am new to this site - We have lived in our home for 24 years, most of that time without a lease. The owner is getting older, and I think it will be passed to her daughter when she dies. Will the daughter be able to evict us and sell the property? We pay our rent by DD every month. I would appreciate any
help with this. Thank you.
09-04-2010, 15:14 PM
1. So you moved-in in about 1986.
2. Did you have any written Tenancy Agreement then?
3. You're probably governed by the Rent Act 1977. This gives you a very strong degree of security of tenure.
4. Read more here at LZ about that Act.
5. If owner's daughter inherits, or even if owner/daughter sells-up, you're almost wholly irremovable; they're stuck with you for keeps.
09-04-2010, 19:40 PM
Thank you very much. Yes we moved in August 1986. We did have a lease for a few years. Then the husband died and we havn't had one since. I will search for Rent Act 1977 and read through it. Very many thanks for your help
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2017 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.