PDA

View Full Version : left property but rent owed

nat16
08-04-2010, 07:10 AM
hi i posted a few months ago asking advice how to give notice on my rental property. i gave a correct section 21 notice (thank you :)) and they actually left the day the section 21 ended, gave keys etc.
the problem i now have is that they have not payed any rent since i gave the notice and all i have had from them is an envelope put through my door very late in the evening of the day before the notice was due to expire. in the envelope was the keys and a note saying they have left the property and will be in touch.
they owe me 2 months rent. i have tried the mobile numbers for the couple and there is no answer or messaging service.
question is how would i go about getting my money back? many thanks

mind the gap
08-04-2010, 07:16 AM
hi i posted a few months ago asking advice how to give notice on my rental property. i gave a correct section 21 notice (thank you :)) and they actually left the day the section 21 ended, gave keys etc.
the problem i now have is that they have not payed any rent since i gave the notice and all i have had from them is an envelope put through my door very late in the evening of the day before the notice was due to expire. in the envelope was the keys and a note saying they have left the property and will be in touch.
they owe me 2 months rent. i have tried the mobile numbers for the couple and there is no answer or messaging service.
question is how would i go about getting my money back? many thanks

When they applied for the tenancy in the first place did you not get a work address for them, or other contact details (e.g. of guarantor)?

Can you not claim the unpaid rent from the tenancy deposit?

nat16
08-04-2010, 07:24 AM
thank you for reply. when they moved in (3 yrs ago) i didn't ask for a guarantor, obviously i now know i should have done.
i know he left his employer a year or so ago. i don't know where he is now employed.
however they've never missed a rent payment or caused any problems hence why i never chased up new details.
the deposit they have left will pay half the money they owe, although in theory i will need to use some of it to replace bathroom and kitchen floors.

mind the gap
08-04-2010, 07:39 AM
If you have no other contact details for friends, family or employers and they do not respond to your attempts to contact them by mobile phone/text, thhen you have two choices:

(a) employ a tracing agent (I'm sorry I have no idea how much this costs -others will, I'm sure)
(b) use their deposit for unpaid rent (if they have been there 3 years can we assume this was taken before April 6 2007, when deposit protection legislation came into force?) and chalk up the rest of other damages to experience. Unless they have wilfully or accidentally damaged both kitchen and bathroom floors (which seems unlikely?), then you would expect to be renewing them at some point anyway - T is not responsible for cost of 'fair wear and tear', only damage above and beyond that - and then only a proportion of the cost, if floors were not brand new at start of tenancy.

Next time, please get a guarantor and/or contact details for next of kin for all tenants before they move in (it is not an unreasonable request and they can actually be very useful in case of practical emergencies during the tenancy, not just for pursuing them for rent etc., afterwards).

nat16
08-04-2010, 07:46 AM
yes deposit was taken march 2007.
there won't be a next time, i am moving back into property shortly so won't have this problem :)