PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding fungus in private let etc.

happysmileykimmy
07-04-2010, 12:55 PM
I have a question regarding a private rental flat I am a tenant in.

We have a situation in our flat, I live with my boyfriend (moved into his place a few months ago) and our en-suite bathroom is carpeted, with a plastic shower curtain (that falls down) and is blown about by the shower when the water is on. Subsequently, the floor next to the shower is very damp, the wood is rotten and smelly. Fungus has been growing out of it apparently, before I moved in.

One could argue that this is a condensation problem, but carpet next to a shower with a flimsy shower curtain to me just seems careless. Windows are opened, doors are left open to let the shower room dry out, we've even tried lifting the carpet as much as we can to let it dry out...but the wood is sodden. It's come apart from the shower tray and is very squashy to stand on! No other parts of the flat really suffer from such a problem.

My boyfriend has a fungal skin problem and I am sure these are connected. We have asked the rental agency we use to help, and they are waiting to hear from our landlord, who has apparently taken this up with our flat block's maintenance company - the landlord believes this could be from a leak in the roof (we're on the top floor) as tiles have fallen off the walls.

What would be a reasonable time limit to wait for a response, and should we contact our local environmental health department or wait? Thanks.

mind the gap
07-04-2010, 13:10 PM
I have a question regarding a private rental flat I am a tenant in.

We have a situation in our flat, I live with my boyfriend (moved into his place a few months ago) and our en-suite bathroom is carpeted, with a plastic shower curtain (that falls down) and is blown about by the shower when the water is on. Subsequently, the floor next to the shower is very damp, the wood is rotten and smelly. Fungus has been growing out of it apparently, before I moved in.

One could argue that this is a condensation problem, but carpet next to a shower with a flimsy shower curtain to me just seems careless. Windows are opened, doors are left open to let the shower room dry out, we've even tried lifting the carpet as much as we can to let it dry out...but the wood is sodden. It's come apart from the shower tray and is very squashy to stand on! No other parts of the flat really suffer from such a problem.

My boyfriend has a fungal skin problem and I am sure these are connected. We have asked the rental agency we use to help, and they are waiting to hear from our landlord, who has apparently taken this up with our flat block's maintenance company - the landlord believes this could be from a leak in the roof (we're on the top floor) as tiles have fallen off the walls.

What would be a reasonable time limit to wait for a response, and should we contact our local environmental health department or wait? Thanks.

How long is it since you first alerted the LL in writing to the problem, and how many times have you contacted him about it so far?

westminster
07-04-2010, 15:51 PM
My boyfriend has a fungal skin problem and I am sure these are connected.
I strongly doubt timber fungus would jump the species barrier onto humans. I guess it's possible he could have an allergic reaction to the fungus spores, though. Tell your boyfriend to see a doctor.

We have asked the rental agency we use to help, and they are waiting to hear from our landlord, who has apparently taken this up with our flat block's maintenance company - the landlord believes this could be from a leak in the roof (we're on the top floor) as tiles have fallen off the walls.
So is the shower causing the soggy floor or not? Are the fallen tiles next to the shower and could water have got behind them, d'you think (I mean, if the tiles don't go all the way up to the ceiling, does the wall above get sprayed from the shower?)

What would be a reasonable time limit to wait for a response, and should we contact our local environmental health department or wait?
I would report the problem in writing (keep a copy and get proof of posting) and give the agent a deadline to take action, say, two weeks; and ask them to come and inspect if you haven't already. Emphasize the unpleasantness of the damp/smell and the potential health hazard from fungus and mould. If you are sure it is the absence of a proper shower enclosure which is causing the damp, say so. Whilst the LL is not legally obliged to install a new water-tight shower enclosure, it's pretty stupid not to, especially with another flat below. I don't think the EHO would view this as an urgent case unless you have giant toadstools growing from the carpet, and it's more diplomatic to give the agent the opportunity to do something before reporting to the EHO - so, personally, I'd wait a bit.