PDA

View Full Version : Responsibilities of landlord and tenant on Bed Bug

bick
07-04-2010, 12:12 PM
Hi,

I have just moved into a new apartment in London since the middile of March. I found there were some spots on my right leg and they are very itchy.
They seem to be caused by Bed Bug according to the information from the Internet.

Before this moving, I had rent the different apartment in London for 6 months, but I did not have this kind of issue.

Actually, when I moved into the current apartment, the new bed was adapted.
However, there is possiblity that there were bed bugs at other furnitures before I moved in.
So, I am not sure whether there have already been bed bugs before my moving or not.

Then, I need to call the professional pest control quickly.

I would like to know I should pay the cost of pest control as tenant or landlord should take charge of it?

Please give me your advice.

Thank you in advance.

Bick

mind the gap
07-04-2010, 12:31 PM
What does your tenancy agreement say about pest eradication?

bick
07-04-2010, 19:00 PM
There is no specific description on pest control cost in the Tenancy Agreement.

Bick

matthew_henson
07-04-2010, 19:13 PM
Hi,

I have just moved into a new apartment in London since the middile of March. I found there were some spots on my right leg and they are very itchy.
They seem to be caused by Bed Bug according to the information from the Internet.

Before this moving, I had rent the different apartment in London for 6 months, but I did not have this kind of issue.

However, there is possiblity that there were bed bugs at other furnitures before I moved in.
So, I am not sure whether there have already been bed bugs before my moving or not.

I would like to know I should pay the cost of pest control as tenant or landlord should take charge of it?

Thank you in advance.

Bick

It is generally accepted that tenants are responsible for pest control except where it is proven a LL is negligent.

Some LL's will pay for rat control because it is in their interest as rats cause damage. In this instance it would be hard to prove the bed bugs were there when you moved in or came with you from somewhere else

You can buy good spray on applications for flee control from most vets (or pets at home) which will cover a whole property and will also deal with bed bugs, buy the proper stuff not the cheap "Bob Martin" or what ever it is called rubbish. That would be my recommended course of action.

As a LL I would not pay for it and and a tenant I would, being a tenant does not exclude you from general household chores and good standards of hygiene (not suggesting you are un-hygienic but bugs and flees are a hygiene matter)

chris_j
21-05-2010, 15:13 PM
Was just searching on Google for advice on a similar question: we've recently noticed bed bugs in our rented accommodation and similarly, the landlord doesn't seem to want to do anything about it!

Any products in particular that anyone can recommend?

Moving
21-05-2010, 15:38 PM
As a LL I would not pay for it and and a tenant I would, being a tenant does not exclude you from general household chores and good standards of hygiene (not suggesting you are un-hygienic but bugs and flees are a hygiene matter)

This isn't true, bedbugs, rats etc can and do infest a clean house. Conversely a very unclean place could be completely free of bugs.

Bedbugs have nothing to do with the hygiene of the individual.

Bedbugs are notoriously difficult to get rid off and I would ask the LL for help

matthew_henson
21-05-2010, 23:14 PM
This isn't true, bedbugs, rats etc can and do infest a clean house. Conversely a very unclean place could be completely free of bugs.

Bedbugs have nothing to do with the hygiene of the individual.

Bedbugs are notoriously difficult to get rid off and I would ask the LL for help

But there are obligations as a home owner and obligations as a landlord under the 1985 LTA and I would strongly argue that bedbugs and other pests remain the responsibility of the "user" of the property. If nobody used the bed there would be no food and no bugs. Unless T can prove said bugs were there when they moved in, it is their responsibility to get rid of them unless you can find legislation to prove otherwise.

btw old post...! but buy a profesional product from a vet not the supermarket

faisom
19-06-2010, 12:40 PM
Hi,

Thank you in advance.

Bick
For the time being I would advice u to use beg bugs powder( or an insect killing powder ) to stop them multiplying because they multiply from 10s to 100s in a matter of couple of weeks.

faisom
19-06-2010, 12:49 PM
Was just searching on Google for advice on a similar question: we've recently noticed bed bugs in our rented accommodation and similarly, the landlord doesn't seem to want to do anything about it!

Any products in particular that anyone can recommend?

For sure I can give you a good advise on that I am telling you from my own personal experience. Use bed bug powder ( any crawling insect killing powder which is readily available will do) . Sprinkled around your bed and where you think they can hide.